Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
planterise

Salvia Divinorum - Successful indoor growing under neon lights

planterise
13 years ago

Hi all, first time poster, I know this particular Salvia is somewhat frowned upon here, but since I see many that are killing it in various ways, I hope it's OK if I share my experience with it, as a grower.

In short, it's a Mexican plant requiring high air humidity, operative word being HIGH. I don't think you can over-spray this plant, but you can certainly have it dry out from dry air.

Since I'm a man and rather forgetful about watering plants, I grow all my plants with subirrigation, with a simple wick system. I found it more fun to construct the systems, since it reduces a gardening problem to an engineering and DIY one :)

I found that the Salvias I grew so far do like the constant soil humidity, and get used to it fast. Some I've grown in moist soil, and some just slightly humid one (different setups) and I think keeping the moisture level constant is important, so the plant can get used to it.

Here's my main plant, before the issues started:

To get to this size, the plant needs to be sprayed daily, or 2 times daily if possible. It also likes light, so try to provide. However keep it out of direct sunlight, as it will easily burn from the sun. Think jungle :)

The issues I encountered were:

1. White insects under the leaves. I waited and procrastinated for a few weeks before getting some insecticide for it and spraying it. During these weeks about 90% of the leaves fell off.

2. After the insect issue, I thought the plant was fine, but I failed to take into account that being winter, teh room radiator / heater was drying the air much more than usual, so although I sprayed the plant daily, this was not enough. The rest of the leaves fell off, so in another week or so, just a few more leaves were left.

At this time I realized the error of my ways and took decisive action: I replanted it into a bigger pot, to accomodate the larger root system. I took some tree branches from the spring cleaning ops outside, some duct tape and nylon foil, and built a sort of cage, with foil over it, to keep the humidity inside. I then started spraying it heavily, twice daily. Holes were made in the foil to keep the airflow going.

Now about 2 weeks later I have new branches, new leaves and the plant looks good. I'm at the office now so I don't have pics of the cage setup, but I will post that as well.

I'm only growing plants since last year, I got interested in growing only after ahem.. testing the Salvia D. For an urban dweller and computer guy like myself this was quite a leap. I am currently moving back in my hometown where I have more space for gardening, and am considering building a greenhouse. Will very likely test my systems on tomatoes, cucumbers and other edibles, and see how they grow compared to the standard gardening of my mother :)

Some words about the Salvia experience: It is not for everyone, most people that are into weed or getting drunk in bars will probably not enjoy it too much. However I do think that everyone should try it at least once per lifetime, under the guidance of an experienced user. Just so they know what's out there, and how wide our universe really is.

Definitely NOT for youtube kids looking for a quick 'high' and a laugh at a party. Any such readers would do well to stick to what they know, or they risk walking into some really demented horror movies and the scare of a lifetime.

Finally, if you want to clone it, cut a branch under the leaf node, remove leaves, and leave 2 small leaves at the upper end. Stick the lower end in honey for about half an inch (including the lower node without the leaves), as honey is a cheap effective rooting agent. make a hole in the moist soil, stick it in, compress the soil so it stands, and cover with a bottle or jar, to keep high humidity. Wait 1-2 weeks, and enjoy your Salvia :)

Comments (7)

• dicot
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

For a guy who's only grown the plant for a year and doesn't know what whitefly is, you sure speak in a definitive manner about how it should be grown. And who roots cuttings in soil under highly humid conditions rather than in sterile or soilless mix? Talk about a recipe for rot! If you want to discuss general growing techniques, fine. But you sure don't seem ready to write a FAQ on S. divinorum growing, imo. You never once mentioned air circulation, which every hothouse grower knows is critical.

• robinmi_gw
    13 years ago

Excuse me, but whether or not we grow S. divinorum, for whatever reason, I find "dicot"s reply rather impolite!

S. divinorum requires totally different conditions from most of the Mexican Salvias. This species grows in constant mist and cloud, and detests any direct sun.

I believe "planterise's" post to be genuine, and informative, sure he/she has had a whitefly problem...as do many Salvias.

OK.....divinorum is a drug, and I have absolutely no interest in those properties, BUT IF you can get this Salvia to flower, it is stunning, even if the plant itself is untidy and unattractive. The wedged stems are amazing, like those of S. madrensis.

Robin.

• hybridsage
    13 years ago

Planterise & Robin and Dicot
    Thank you. I too agree that it is wise for us to learn on
    how to grow all Salvias. It helps us all have a better understanding of what works for specific species of Salvias. Whether we agree with the politics that is behind
    the stupidity of government regulations or not. We are here
    to learn.
    Art

• planterise
    Original Author
    13 years ago

@dicot you are right, I don't have a lifetime of experience, and my aim with this post was to show other new growers how to get through the first weeks or months. I posted this after a search on the site that showed several attempts that ended badly for the plants in a short time.

It's great that you knew all about gardening and whitefly right off the bat, as you can see I had to learn the hard way :D

As for root rot, I shared what worked for me, for this plant, 100% of the time so far: cut, stick in honey, stick in moist soil. Might not work in all soils for all plants, but I think it's important that new S.Divinorum growers know about the honey as a rooting hormone, for when they want to propagate.

Thank you all for the replies, good to see people are tolerant of all growers here, regardless of motives that got us started :)

I am once again updating from work, so I don't have a pic to show my DYI "hothouse". However the plant is growing, I have once again large leaves, and all is well. Holes in the hothouse do provide air circulation, and I see no signs of anything wrong at this time.

Cheers :)

• terrestrial_man
    13 years ago

I wish someone could genetically engineer plants such as this Salvia and Cannabis to be free of any psychoactiver properties so that they could be grown freely. This is a very great looking plant as is Cannabis which really reminds me of Cleome which I have grown years ago and was queried as to it being Cannabis!

• jonopp
    13 years ago

Someday I hope to move my whole garden indoors, under flourescent lights, so I don't have to go outside. Flourescent light! Sweet inspiration to the Poet!

• blue_lotus
    13 years ago

Planterise, I think you done a great post, and I disagree with Dicot.

Your plants look healthy and big, there is no way you are inexperienced.

Please continue to share your success to GW community.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz