Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
S.davidsoni, S.henryi &

Posted by nuthatch_mo Z-6 MO (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 30, 07 at 7:07

S.vaseyi, have seeds for these 3 Salvia's. Has anyone ever grown them or have any information on them. Couldn't find much when I Googled and they are not in Betsy Clebsch's book. Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: S.davidsoni, S.henryi &

Salvia henryi and S. davidsonii are close relatives of S. roemeriana and have similar needs. Some people consider them the same species. They are less compact and have evolved to scramble around rocks. During hot summer months, the flowers shift into a cleistogamous (self-fertilizing) mode and flora displays are reduced.

Salvia vaseyi is in the same group as S. clevelandii and S. apiana. It is found on dry rocky slopes in Baja California and on the western edge of the Colorado Desert

o

I have growing at the moment salvia Henryi and Davidsonii,
salvia Henryi is cleistogamous and never flowers but Salvia Davidsonii is flowering at the moment and is happy in the shade, gorgeous Flowers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvia Davidsonii

o

• Posted by gerris2 Zone 7a Delaware (My Page) on
    Tue, May 1, 07 at 7:10

Annette,

What type of soil do you use to keep davidsonii happy and henryi happy?

Joseph

o

Hi Joseph,

I use a high quality potting mix called Searles which is no good to you as it is Australian, Salvias take off in this mix, I also use Searles seed raising mix for the seeds and transfer over to this.

Happy Salviaing,

Annette

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here