Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Guaranitca cross

Posted by penny1947 z6 WNY (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 24, 07 at 9:09

What is the possibility of S. guaranitica crossing with a microphylla? I ask this b/c one of the sports from my Black and Blue last year had red flowers and bloomed late summer until a hard freeze. At the time I collected the seed from my B&B I also had Wild Watermelon growing in close proximity. The leaves have the 'odor' of my B&B but they are shaped more like Wild Watermelon. They are also have a soft dwney feel.

Penny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Guaranitca cross

I would not be surprised that guaranitica and microphylla would cross, but the hybrid would be sterile. Guaranitica has crossed with gesneraeflora (Purple Majesty), splendens (Black Night), and cardinalis form of fulgens? (Betsy's Choice). Though the chromosome number of guaranitica differs from the other parent, they still crossed. Microphylla has the same base number as gesneriiflora and fulgens, I believe.

Penny, do you have an image of the red guaranitica you can post?

o
RE: Guaranitca cross

Rich,
I don't have an image yet. I plan to get a picture of it as soon as it comes back into bloom.

At first I thought it may have crossed with coccinea as I had forgotten about my microphylla. wnile doing some watering and plant clean up the other day I noted that the leaves were actually much smaller than my coccineas and very small compared to the Black & Blue and were shaped more like the microphylla. Last year it bloomed in late summer. I hope it will bloom sooner this year so I don't have to wait that long for a photo.

Penny

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here