Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crocosmia_mn

Anyone growing Salvia confertifolia? See photos!

crocosmia_mn
19 years ago

I have to at least try to grow the tall, spikey, orange Salvia confertifolia after seeing it in gardens in England last summer! I ordered plants from Digging Dog Nursery and hope they will flower this year. Does anyone have any advice? I read that it grows from a tuber that can be overwintered like dahlias.

Here are two photos of Salvia confertifolia I took at Bosvigo in Cornwall:

Comments (12)

• Salvia_guy
    19 years ago

The hummingbirds LOVE this salvia.

Salvia confertiflora will die in your winter if left in the ground. It dies in the ground for me most winters. It is native to Brazil.

It will do best in the ground for the summer but dig it up and pot it up before your first frost. It will not be harmed by digging and potting up, just make sure you use a large enough pot. It can be taken inside for the winter and put outside on mild days.

It grows easily to 5' for me by September. The flower stems can easily grow to a foot or more in length.

If the plants are older, one year or more, it should flower this summer. If not expect blooms later in the season. One year the over wintered plants started to flower at the end of June and continued until a hard frost in November.

I have never seen tubers on this species. It is easy to root from cuttings.

BTW: This species is stunning in the garden even if it doesn't flower. I have two 4' plants in 5 gal. contaniers on my patio awaiting transplanting into the garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvia confertiflora - close up

• crocosmia_mn
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks so much! The hummingbirds are a huge bonus -- I just liked the way it looked! No idea where I read about it having tubers -- maybe they just meant "big old root that you can dig up and overwinter." So, you're saying pot it up rather than store the root in a cool place like a dahlia tuber?

• Salvia_guy
    19 years ago

Yes, pot the plant up and grow it through the winter indoors.

SG

• CA Kate z9
    19 years ago

Crocosmia: What a beautiful orange garden. I love it!

• jenn
    19 years ago

Beautiful indeed!

• skrip
    19 years ago

Can we grow this one out here in southern cali? If so, with what restrictions, shade? semi-shade?

I want that one...

• Charlestx78757
    19 years ago

I have had this beautiful salvia in my garden for 3 years now. It dies back in the winter and returns in the spring. Here in Austin, I have it planted where it gets full sun till noon. Charles

• wanda
    19 years ago

You should be able to grow it in So. Cal. I grow it here in the San Jose area. I keep mine in semi-shade...sort of a woodland setting. It gets sun until about 1 and then, dappled sun fading into full shade. I prune it/pinch it back in spring to encourage bushiness.

I saw one growing with Salvia "Indigo Spires" in Mendocino Botanical Gardens (a "Kaveh" design) that made a gorgeous combo.

wanda

• CA Kate z9
    19 years ago

Anyone know who carries this plant? I don't remember ever seeing it before.

• helena_z8_ms
    19 years ago

If you want mail order,canyoncreeknursery.com and diggingdog.com.

• CA Kate z9
    19 years ago

Helena: thanks for sending me to Digging Dog. It's a CA nursery, so no problem with them sending me the plants. I found several that I have been looking for.

• helena_z8_ms
    18 years ago

Glad to help, Westelle. Yea, I was tempted with their plants too. I've got quite a few from Richard too on the East Coast.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES