Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobbygil_gw

amistad hardiness

bobbygil
10 years ago

Hi...just curious how cold Amistad has made it through. I have a couple but over wintered them in my garage. I am in Atlanta 7b-8a and I'm pretty sure they would not of made it through the freakesh cold winter we had. I just came back from a local nursery and they said it was defintely hardy here because hers were " field grown" ,whatever that means. How cold have they made it? thanks bobby

Comments (6)

• kermitc
    10 years ago

I have reports of well cared for and mulched Amistad coming back in Zone 7. I have also had reports of them not surviving in the same Zone. No way that this last winter's weather can be used as "normal", or as a good test.

I know it to be hardy into the low 20s, Ours here took 25 degrees for 3 days and kept blooming. I really think it matters a great deal how they are grown and protected.

The "field grown" term is marketing hype. Makes ma mad when people are told things like this.

• CA Kate z9
    10 years ago

My Amistads haven't survived a winter yet. I live in zone 9, but our December weather was quite cold... below 40úF. They live in a very protected area but don't survive at all. The Hummers and I love them so I'll be watching for a replacement.

• rich_dufresne
    10 years ago

Here is an Amistad at Plant Delights last autumn, after it made it through the 2012 - 2013 winter.

I have no reports yet for this year. I will try to get to both the JC Raulston Arboretum and Plant Delights in May with my camera. for follow-up photos.

• CA Kate z9
    10 years ago

Well, now I'm totally jealous!

• wardda
    10 years ago

In my part of NJ zone 7a we had temperatures to zero. My plant crowns were covered with bags of fall leaves which I guess is cheating. So far 3 out of 4 are breaking ground.

• river_crossroads z8b Central Louisiana
    9 years ago

Updates on Amistad, anyone? Have you decided if yours made it or not?

Amistad could not take 14F at my place. At least 5 nights of 14F over the winter but not in a row. The 2 plants in the ground died but a broken branch stuck in a pot and protected survived - small but healthy. I protected the pot with a DuPont Frost Blanket from LoweâÂÂs on any night when it was 25F or below. I knew that a pot is supposed to get colder than the ground and moved the covered pot to a protected area near my front door. Hardy to z9 would be my rec for the description.

Amistad on 4/25/14

Salvia guaranitica âÂÂVan Remsenâ has new growth at the base, tho' of course it is a hybrid. It is a natural hybrid from the yard of Dr James Van Remsen in Baton Rouge, apx 120 miles SE of here so I would expect it to like the local weather! Usually rated as z7.

Link to pictures of my 3 salvia guaranitica last summer. Fastest way to view: click âÂÂRollâ next to âÂÂThunbnailsâ in blue above the pictures, wait a sec, then use your own scroll bars to move through quickly. Thanks for looking if you have time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Amistad, Purple Majesty, Van Remsen

Sponsored