Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Salvia Van Houttei from seed

Posted by ruthz 8a dfw texas (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 4, 12 at 10:08

I sowed seeds of Salvia Van Houttei and germination was really good.
My question is will the plants be true from seed?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Salvia Van Houttei from seed

Do you have some other forms of Salvia splendens close to
you vanhouttei? If not it should come true.
Art

o

• Posted by ruthz 8a dfw texas (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 5, 12 at 10:31

I wintersowed several kinds of salvia, all in containers.

o

On a visit to Longwood Gardens quite a while ago, I got a plant called Salvia vanhouttei, from which most of the forms going around have been derived. It had burgundy flowers, but many of the seedlings came up with orange flowers, and with a form more like true splendens.

Some of these plants made their way to Barb Smith of Pendleton, SC, and she came up with a number of color forms, named Paul and Lewis after her children. Paul was deep purple, and there were forms from Paul with orange, light orange, lavender, and deep plum flowers, amongst others. Lewis is an orange form.

I have no idea how the variegated form, Dancing Flames, came about.

Wendy's Wish from Australia is a popular patented plant and is evidently a cross of S. buchananii with a splendens, probably a vanhouttei form. Black Knight is evidently a guaranitica x splendens (or vanhouttei) cross.

For the second edition of Betsy Clebsch's (New) Book of Salvias, Dr. Ian Hedge of the RBG Edinburgh was of the opinion that vanhouttei was an early or intermediate attempt at breeding the current S. splendens of the trade

Most of the currently available forms give mostly orange seedlings.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here