Houzz Logo Print
hybridsage

Any new seedlings ?

hybridsage
13 years ago

Brent had posted about his variegated Salvia x jamensis

I ran across a new S.farinacea up at Armand Hufaults nursery

in Jarrell a deep purple form.

Does anyone have some other seedlings or new discoveries?

Art

Comments (13)

• bbarnes001
    13 years ago

i sowed about 600 seeds of various species(50ish) that i am still waiting to see if anything new pops up. Just some stuff i had sitting around. This was back in DEC 2010. Im doing it with the UCR BG. I get to keep the ones i want and i donate all the others to them to plant or sell. Ill let you know what comes up. Im trying to get them to compete with the northern gardens..... I have to cold stratify some of them. Next time im using GA3.

Brent

• rich_dufresne
    13 years ago

I'll be posting a PDF of my seeds germinated soon to those interested. Some have only one or two poking their head up, so it will be a while before I will be propagating from those.

• hybridsage
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have a couple of seedlings coming along . We will see!
    Art

• wardda
    13 years ago

I have a hundred plus microphylla/greggii types sitting in cells waiting for May planting. Mostly they were harvested from hardy types and they will receive rough treatment over the next year. I have no more exotic types. The seedling from Silk's Dream, possibly a cross with buchanannii, turned out to have nice foliage and stems but a washed out pinkish white flower and was very frost tender. It gets one more year just for the heck of it - not really a keeper.

• bbarnes001
    13 years ago

Here is one of my first selections. Bicolor maroon and light orange. The pictures doesnt really do it much justice. S. greggii x jamensis that came from salmon seed.

Brent

Here is a link that might be useful: first new flower

• rich_dufresne
    13 years ago

Brent:

The folks at Suncrest Nurseries (ginny Hunt and M. Nevin Smith) in Watsonville are doing a lot of bicolor microphyllas (probably dominating over the greggii genes)

Tony Avent at Plant Delights has been won over by Dancing Dolls and Shell Dancer from Suncrest.

• hybridsage
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Brent:
    That would be great to see the real colors!
    Art

• wardda
    13 years ago

The various yellow flavors don't survive to well here in Southern New Jersey. I keep hoping a stray cross with something hardier will be more durable, so far it hasn't happened. There have been a few which last 2 years but no longer.

Tony isn't the only one to be won over, after last summer I am a big fan of Dancing Dolls. Whether it is hardy here is another question, but worth a try. One thing is sure, it is good enough to grow as an annual.

• rich_dufresne
    13 years ago

At the Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden sale 10 days ago, someone was selling Mesa Scarlet as an annual. From its appearance, I'd say it should be a lot hardier.

I'm trying to find out if Terra Nova is responsible for their development.

• bbarnes001
    13 years ago

a friend of mine has two hybrids of discolor with geggii x jamensis. Came from greggii x jamensis seed that was hand pollinated with discolor. white stems on the seedlings! pictures to come soon.

Brent

• salviakeeper
    13 years ago

I have about 40 seedlings that either volunteered or sprouted in seedbeds and I'm patiently awaiting them to demonstrate more characteristics of the parents. I have a grouping of Calfornia native species, mostly from the desert zone and potentially some cool hybrids as many of the plants were in bloom simultaneously last year. (Salvia apiana w/purple polka dotted flowers, pachyphylla, dorrii X, pachyphylla x dorrii, eremostachya, Gayle Nielson, Carl Nielson, mohavensis) There may be more dna in the mix becuase i've read that the pollenation sphere of a plant is 3 miles...so anything is possible. It's like watching the water come to boil!

• kermitc
    13 years ago

I believe Syngenta is the proud "owner" of the Mesa Series. I doubt Dan at Terra Nova fools with such non-variegated things (smile). They (Terra Nova)do have a nice variegated officinalis, but for the price I passed.

A discolor hybrid!!! Awesome! Perhaps we are at the start of a renaissance period for Salivas.

Rummy, but just from work,

Kermit

• hybridsage
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kermit & Brent:
    Lets hope we are entering era with plant material coming out
    of South America plus new Salvia forms still being discovered
    in the wild. I know that there is more in Mexico too!
    With 750 - 900 species out there I would say the odds are pretty good that Salvias will be in horticulture for a long time!
    Art

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville