Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
love_the_yard

Sally Fun vs. Victoria Blue

Sally Fun and Victoria Blue appear very, very similar to me. In fact, even when I hold potted plants side by side they appear identical. What is the easiest way to distinguish between the two?

Thanks!

Carol

Comments (7)

• robinmi_gw
    12 years ago

I think they are the same. Sally Fun may just be a stupid "commercial" name.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Robin, Thank you so much for the confirmation. Ok, so maybe I'm not crazy.

Carol

• robinmi_gw
    12 years ago

Of course you are not crazy, read the recent previous thread

• goblugal
    11 years ago

They are most certainly NOT "stupid commercial names". Salvia farinacea 'Victoria Blue' is an open market, seed produced Salvia. Because it is open market, and produced by several seed breeders (and by breeders, I don't mean distribution companies), there will be some variation from plant to plant. Salvia farinacea 'Sallyfun' series (4 colors in the series) is bred by Danziger Flower Farm in Israel, and is produced vegetatively. Cuttings are taken from mother stock plants and shipped to growers who root them. Because they are stock produced, not seed, there is little to no variation between the plants, and all were developed for very specific characteristics. So, you may pick up a plant of Victoria Blue, and a plant of Sallyfun Blue, and think they look alike, but I guarantee if you see 20 plants of each variety grown side by side, you will see differences in the Victoria Blue.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Which is superior?

• dirtygardener73
    8 years ago

I know this is an old post, but I wanted to know what kind of luck those who grew the Sallyfun Blue had with overwintering in Zone 9a. I bought one on sale at Lowe's and I don't know whether to try to plant it out now or just try to overwinter it in its pot and plant it out in the spring. I had grown Victoria Blue for years in z9b/10a, mostly because it was cheap - sold as an annual - always coming up from seed and I loved putting the babies all over my yard. I think it's considered a tender short-lived perennial, whereas I figured Sallyfun Blue may be a little more hardy.

• CA Kate z9
    8 years ago

I also live in 9a (Fresno) and, while not knowledgable about this particular plant, I would plant it out now so it develops a good root system before next summer's heat. I use to do this all the time with Salvias when I had my bigger gardens.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville