Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sueinnm

SueinNM
9 years ago

Hi! I'm Sue, a new member. I have become mad about Salvias, and Kermit, who is a member here, will know me as the one who has purchased about 30+ Salvias from him this year (to arrive later this month.)

I frankly have no idea where I'll put all of them, but some are marginally perennial where I live, so I'll be experimenting to see if I can get some to winter over (elk series, Greggii, microphylla). My Greggis generally do, though most are the cold-hardy variety, and to my surprise I had a Hot Lips survive in an unprotected pot over the winter. I have no greenhouse or similar place to overwinter, so either I'll have to figure out how to build one or bring some cutting inside.

I have grown Darcyi, Exserta and Coccinea from seed this year, though I had pretty poor results with most of the Coccinea (bad seed, or my mistakes ... not sure, since most other seeds did well) and only a few Excerta came up. I know that Darcyi may survive in my zone (varied stories on that, as it apparently survives in the Denver Botanical Gardens) but I don't have too many places to put a huge perennial salvia. I have cleared out several raised beds to fit in some of the Salvias I'm getting from Flowers by the Sea.

We had a freeze yesterday, but I expect we'll be pretty much done with it by April 15 and I am hardening off most of my less tender annuals and perennials.

I'll post about my results about these many salvias over the summer, if I can remember!
'

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz