Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wintersowed black and blue sprouts

Posted by hummersteve Indy (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 7, 08 at 12:42

I have heard several people say that they didnt have luck doing this and I having had a great deal of trouble trying to germinate b & b seeds decided to give this a try . To my amazment I discover I have a few sprouts, one in particular aggressive sprout which looks like its up about an inch already. I didnt know what to expect [ no results i guess] so I used what I had on hand which happened to be composted manure 05-05-05. I know this wouldnt normally be the thing to use , but I was desperate on these guys and I know these may not come true, if they live, but I now have hope for them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wintersowed black and blue sprouts

Steve - The species guaranitica is a great plant. I don't think you'd be disappointed even if they're more like the species rather than B&B. The hummingbirds will like them either way.

o
RE: Wintersowed black and blue sprouts

Black & Blue along a warm wall began showing green growth yesterday. Out in the colder yard Brazil and other B&B still appear dormant. Who knows whether Van Remsen or x Purple Majesty will return. Black & Blue has been in the garden for many years now, it took me at least five years to have faith that they would survive the winter. In those days it was a real worry, you couldn't go down to the local market and pick them up for $5.00 a pot. And I hadn't learned about mail ordering over the internet - plants and information were hard won.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here