Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_gw

Pruning S. greggii

jenn
12 years ago

We have a handful of S. greggii including the luscious 'Raspberry Royale' and 'Hot Lips'. I am WAY behind on my pruning due to illness and other commitments. All of them have been blooming their heads off for months on end, and have reached their mature size (here, that would be 5-1/2 feet wide, and 3-4 feet tall.

I came across a personal gardening web site (in Australia) that describes a method of pruning S. greggii by cutting the side stems first, and then -- when the sides begin to fill out again -- thin out the middle section.

These plants are only a couple of years old and already very woody at the base. Is that due to my delinquent pruning practices, or is it just the nature of these plants? Rather than removing the old wood at the base, should I just leave it alone (unless it is dead or in the way), and prune the stems down to the new growth in early spring?

Can I prune it as much or as little as I want?

Comments (3)

• rich_dufresne
    12 years ago

First, it would be helpful to give us info on your floral zone. It sounds like a warm Mediterranean climate from your description. Rainfall periods and duration and soil type is also a good thing to include.

From your description, you sound like you have good conditions to layer lateral stems to start new plants, which is what I would do for plants at this stage of maturity. Big ones do not transplant well, and layering to form new crowns is how they more or less stay in one place.

I would not prune them too severely, but you could experiment once you have layered starts should the experiment backfire. What is the diameter of the wood you want to cut?.

• jenn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Richard - my zone is shown after my name, USDA 9, Sunset 19. I'm in southern CA, with rainy winters, hot dry summers, clay (amended)soil.

I would love to start some new 'Raspberry Royale' -- it's a beautiful shrub and I love the color of the deep pink blooms (I believe I purchased it from you). Our S. 'Anthony Parker' and 'Indigo Spires', and S. microphylla 'San Carlos Festival' have produced new plants by layering on their own (again, thanks to my delinquent/lazy pruning schedule) which has produced some new plants, so yes we seem to have good conditions for that.

With respect to the woody base -- I don't feel compelled to cut it out. Mainly, I'm wondering if it is the result of my practices (late pruning, or none at all), or our soil, or if it is a problem at all. If it is not a problem and the plants will remain productive, then I'll leave it alone and just deadhead and give a light haircut. Otherwise, if the woody base is a sign of neglect, or a sign of a short life, what can I do to prevent it?

• hybridsage
    12 years ago

Jenn:
    My prunning is done every year. Beginning in January
    and finishing in February.All my S.greggii, microphylla
    lycioides and hybrids get a hair cut. Our weather is such that this is not a problem. Even this year going to 17 degree's for 3 day's. It does help keep the plants looking nicer with better bloom too. By prunning this makes the plants branch lower as spring growth resumes. All the stored energy is going to the new growth so with a second prune you really get good branching support and structure.
    In your Zone 9 climate you could start prunning in January.
    Art

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor