Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynne48

Salvia 'Hot Lips' Flowers Solid Red

susanlynne48
13 years ago

I bought this as a small plant in a 3" pot that I received in very early April. I immediately potted it up to a 6" pot and it has grown quite a bit and now is flowering. Of 5 blooms, all have been solid red. I have read on this forum and elsewhere, that it is not unusual for this plant to bloom solid red with a sprinkling of solid white in the heat of the summer. But it has been thru some very cool weather here, and some very warm weather, as our spring has been an up and down thing this year.

Is this to be anticipated with 'Hot Lips' during temperature lows and highs, or do I have the wrong plant?

Susan

Comments (15)

• jonopp
    13 years ago

'Hot Lips' goes through a rotation - I've heard it described as "genetically unstable". Mine have started out red, too.... Have patience! it's just doing it's thing. I don't know if it's been determined what causes this.. it seems to be a cycle unrelated to heat or time of year (mine started out all white 2 years ago...) perhaps it's something to do with the time of the last big cut-back?

• robinmi_gw
    13 years ago

Over here in England, it has a mind of its own!!! Nobody has been able to explain this. But...when it seems to be pure white, in summer, it is the best white Salvia, really pure white.

• roper2008
    13 years ago

I ordered last fall from Santa Rosa Gardens. Will be getting my
    plants in May. One of them is Salvia 'hot lips'. I guess I won't
    be surprised when they bloom all red. Will see.

• CA Kate z9
    13 years ago

I think this color-change issue is what makes this plant most interesting. It seems to be white when cool, two-toned when warm and solid red when very hot. Having said this, I've had all three variations of color show up on the same plant at the same time! Enjoy whatever she gives you.

• susanlynne48
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all so much. Mine is doing its "red" thing during these cooler nighttime temps we've had lately.

Robin, I've seen your comment about the beauty of the white flowers on other posts, too, so am anxiously awaiting my first "white" blooms.

I just got 'Cherry Queen' yesterday and it is blooming, too, and looks eerily similar to 'Hot Lips' - same parentage?

Seeds are up of 'Lady in Red', 'Forest Fire', darcyi, and subrotunda. Hopefully, it's going to be a royal red summer!

Susan

• rich_dufresne
    13 years ago

Cherry Queen is not at all similar to Hot Lips. The first tends to spread, and has typical greggii leaves with smooth edges, and Hot Lips is very erect, with small microphylla leaves that have teeth along the edge.

• susanlynne48
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I was referring to the blooms. While there is a slight color variation between the two, they are both small and red right now.

Susan

• voodoobrew
    13 years ago

My Hot Lips plant currently has some all red flowers, all white, bicolor, and some weird stages in between. It is now an enormous bush... so I guess it's time to hack it back and propagate cuttings. My 5 year old has this idea that he is going to have a plant stand/ sale, instead of the classic lemonade stand. :-)

• susanlynne48
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Voodoobrew, this is the strangest Salvia. I am now getting the same kind of blooms you mention....a mix of all white, white with just a tiny spot of red on the lip, red, bicolor, what next? Maybe it will have stripes. It certainly is not consistent, is it?

I am wondering if it is a seedling variation? I know it is supposed to sport some solid red and solid white when the weather heats up, but while this is interesting to say the least, it is certainly not what I expected.

Susan

• rich_dufresne
    13 years ago

As I have mentioned at several other occasions, teasing out the mechanism behind the mystery of this variation in color might make an interesting dissertation for some graduate student.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    13 years ago

Voodoobrew, Your child sounds like a really cool kid and he is definitely on to something. I think there are more plant addicts than lemonade addicts. I will pay more for a plant than a glass of lemonade and I always buy more than one plant. Those hotlips propogate so easily also.

• cindyc1000
    13 years ago

Mine have always varied a lot in color as well even on one stem. I lost my Hot Lips this last fall due to a sudden weather change. I haven't been able to find it at local nurseries, etc. Does anyone have any rooted cuttings that might survive shipping to the Tacoma, WA area? I loved this plant and have it in a location where my dogs brush up against it when they walk by my patio. Aroma therapy every time they come in from the back yard!

• HU-850908935
    3 years ago

Apparently it reacts to moisture in the soil. When it is wet the flowers turn red. When dry they turn white. Interesting!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    3 years ago

I always thought it was the heat and cold that made the flowers change.