Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hybridsage

What colors are your S micro.'Hotlips' seedlings ?

hybridsage
14 years ago

I had my first seedling of S.microphylla "Hotlips" bloom this morning. Nice dark Pink w/a white eye and foliage is microphylla with out a hint of greggii.

Art

Comments (15)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    14 years ago

my first hotlips bloomed red. True we were a bit cold last night before it opened up.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    14 years ago

Yea , they are red and white now. It is so strange how they do that. I guess I am colder than you in town guys.

• robinmi_gw
    14 years ago

Interesting thread! I first saw 'Hot Lips' some years ago at Cabrillo, where they kindly allowed me to collect seeds, warning me that they may not come true. Well, some did, I had the perfect 'Hot Lips', from which this has been introduced all over the UK. Suppose it should correctly be named X 'Hot Lips'...but try telling that to suppliers! The couple of seedlings which were different turned out to be extremely vigorous plants, with red flowers and stems, shiny leaves, which I cheekily called 'Robin's Pride'. This is a terrific plant, it seems to be very very similar to S. microphylla 'Huntington'. It can grow up to 4 ft in one season. Two years ago it set a few seeds so I grew them to see what would happen. Yet another cultivar/hybrid...deep red flowers, with furry as opposed to shiny leaves. Even faster-growing than its parent, and quite different. As for 'Hot Lips'...I have never found one seed over here....very strange! All three plants seem to have been killed by the vile winter here. Thanks to whoever for heated greenhouses, and my ability to root cuttings!

For those of you who have Salvia 'Silkes Dream'...try seeds, amazing what can result....'Penny's Smile' for example!

• hybridsage
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Robin:
    My S micro. "Hot lips" and "Silkes Dream" are nery close to each other. I have had a few seedlings for Silkes one I call Silkes Friend very short (less than a foot)Foliage is like S.micro.var. lemmonii but the leaf margin is smooth like greggii. I have had a few seedlings out of Silkes friend That look more like S. greggi"Annie" in color but same short compact plants. This is the first year I have had any seedlings from S.micro. "Hot Lips" . It would be nice to get S. Hot Lips together w/Sierra San Antonio.
    We had a inch + of snow this year and temps in to the upper teens (Farenheit). I lost my SL411 this year also.
    Art

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    14 years ago

here is a shot with both red and red/white blossoms. I have as of yet to have a seed sprout under the hot lips. i will keep my eye out for them. They struggle at my place because they would like a little bit more richness. Better go put some compost on them. I know salvias don't like compost. You haven't seen my soil. They appreciate it. Maybe love is a strong word.

• wardda
    14 years ago

Hot Lips is the only microphylla that has never put out volunteers.

Last fall I collected seeds from Silke's Dream and one of those seeds germinated in early January under lights. I haven't a clue who the other parents is. It is nothing like I have ever seen before. A fast grower it sent out a nearly horizonal stem which has reached about 20". The stem itself ages to a very dark maroon and the petiols are the same color. The leaves are a semi-gloss maturing to about 3" inches long by about 1.5 inches, bluntly tipped, sandpapery, and shallowly toothed. They smell like Black & Blue or perhaps Bog Sage. Maybe when and if it flowers I will have a better idea who the other parent is, but I expect not. There are just too many potential fathers in the garden.

• rich_dufresne
    14 years ago

I'll be interested in pictures when you have them.

• wardda
    14 years ago

I will keep that in mind. Currently I am without a camera but will ask a friend to take a few snaps.

I noticed you will be speaking in Pottstown Pa on May 8th for the Midatlantic Hardy Plant Society. I have been looking forward to hearing you talk for a long time, but unfortunately that is the day the planting gets done at the park. That date was set up long before I knew about your program and I can't abandon all the folks that turn out to help each year. Incidentally, every one of the greggii and microphylla you recommended and provided for the park have done very well.

• hybridsage
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ward:
    If you can get some cuttings rooted I would love to
    have some of her other siblings. I have a few others that
    have came out of "Silkes Dream". If you would like some I can root a few and see how they perform up in Jersey.
    Art

• rich_dufresne
    14 years ago

wardda.

I'll be there the previous evening. Send me a post by private email.

• wardda
    14 years ago

Art, I will do that once I have secured cuttings. I have been following your posts with interest and would love to do a little horse trading.

• hybridsage
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ward:
    1)Did you get cuttings on the "Large" flowered microphylla
    you found last year?
    2) We can do some trading as well. I have a 2 more compact seedling from "Silke's Dream" and a third seedling.
    Both are S microphylla var. lemmonnii like but very
    short (less than a foot). One I call "Silke's Friend"
    the other is "Little Annie" Both are in the orange tones
    Silke's Friend is same color as Silke's. Little Annie is
    same color as S. greggii "Annie" . The third seedling is
    more microphylla like Darkest foliage I have seen in that group. The foliage has a camphor like smell but very subdued. Rich dark pink flowers w/a clear white eye.
    If you are interested there is a red form I have called
    "Sam's Red" this one has more greggii in it but a longer
    Lip like "Silke's".
    Dito what Rich Dufresne said we can do this via e-mail.
    Art

• wardda
    14 years ago

I have cuttings from several pink flowered microphylla types, none say large flowered on the label - it might be the presumed cross between microphylla neurepia and one of the Stampede greggii types. That only means waiting awhile until I see flowers. Keep in mind that I am a couple of months behind you. Once I am certain where I stand I will email you a list and you can tell me what you want - I will propagate. Keep in mind that my seedlings aren't very exceptional at this point. The really hardy greggii/microphylla types seem to lack the truly exotic flowers I see in the trade from the West Coast.

Every one you mentioned is of interest to me.

• hybridsage
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ward:
    I will get cuttings going. The pic you posted of the microphylla(larger flowered) was from a park one plant looked different from the other microphyllas.
    Art

• hummersteve
    14 years ago

This will be my first year at having sal. micro. hot lips. Im certainly looking forward to recieving them and seeing how they will do in my environment. Ive always wanted it but never got around to it till now.