Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoosierquilt

'Julia Child' Rose Paired with Dk. Purple Salvia

I'm hoping someone on the Salvia Forum saw the same photos I saw a while back. I've cross posted this on the Calif. Gardening Forum and the Rose Forum, in hopes someone can help me out. I saw a photo just recently while surfing the 'Net. It was a planting showing 'Julia Child' roses with a very dark purple salvia (almost black-purple). Can't remember if I saw the photos on one of the Gardening Web Forums, or just doing a web search. It was so striking, and like a dummy I didn't write down the name of the salvia. I want to duplicate this in a planter that wraps around the new patio we've got down in our lower garden. I know salvias and roses usually have pretty opposite watering requirements, but once 'Julia Child' is established, I can cut back on the water. And, I'm going to run the beds on drips in front of the roses, and plant the salvia behind, so they will be a bit further away from the water source. Does this strike a bell with someone? I just remember the photo showing both of these in a bed together, and the color combination was gorgeous. Looking for a more compact, maybe upright salvia that is very, very dark purple and can take maybe a wee bit more water than the species typically prefers. Thanks for any help or suggestions you can give me. So far, 'May Night' and 'Caradonna' have been suggested, but I seem to remember it was even darker than these two (but about the same size).

Patty S.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Uncommon Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Turnkey Interior Design Studio in Loudoun County, VA