Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
salviakeeper

Salvia eremostachya

salviakeeper
14 years ago

First of all, many thanks to ccroulet for sharing the location of this and other salvias in and around Southern California. While right off the highway, it did take me a while to find this swarm of Desert Sage but it was well worth the effort and finally I have found this uncommon species which was in full bloom at the end of March, purple and white flowering plants scattered in the granite boulders on this steep slope. I've grown several specimens in Sta Barbara County and for the most part they've not survived very long. Now, I will try to mimic their environment as much as possible, surrounding them with rocks, in sandy well draining soil on an east facing slope. The surrounding plants were jojoba and a species of viguiera among others. The plant is extremely aromatic and it's pebbly dark green leaves resemble S brandegei which is also very limited to specific habitats in the wild (Sta Rosa Island and in northern coastal Baja.)but the flower petals are totally unique. Also of interest is that the habitat of these eremostachya is right above highest creosote bush and ocotillos seen along the Palms to Pines highway out of Palm Desert.

http://s800.photobucket.com/albums/yy288/sagemtnmn/Salvia%20eremostachya/

Comments (3)

Sponsored