Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
is this salvia or a weed?

Posted by michoumonster Palo Alto, CA (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 20, 08 at 16:15

Hi, can you help, me identify this plant? I grew some blue salvia in my bed last year. This year, this plant popped up in huge numbers in this area, so I thought it might be salvia from seeds or something. However, the plants are budding now and the flowers don't look like the old salvia did. the flowers on this mystery plant are kind of pinkish colored. please help me ID this! thanks!!

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: is this salvia or a weed?

here are pictures of the mystery plant. is it wishful thinking that it is salvia? it is very healthy, so i suspect it is a weed...

these are the plants
mystery plant1
mystery plant2

here are closups of the flower buds

mystery plant flower2
mystery plant flower

o

I'm pretty sure it is not a Salvia. Can't tell until the flowers show. Something off the top of my head says fireweed.

Kingdom: Plantae
Division: Magnoliophyta
Class: Magnoliopsida
Order: Myrtales
Family: Onagraceae
Genus: Epilobium
Species: E. angustifolium

o

I think Richard is pretty close, but I bet it isn't going to turn out to be Epilobium angustifolium, which has showy flowers and might be something you'd enjoy in the garden. Instead I think it will probably turn out to be one of the other Epilobium species that are widespread in CA. Most don't have showy flowers, and I see them growing in the wild along the edges of wetlands. I think Willowherb is a common name used for all of them. I don't think they'll turn out to be much of a problem weed, but they may not turn out to be real great looking either. They may attract butterflies or other pollinators.

o

thanks Richard and ladyslppr! I googled epilobium and it does look like my plants. my plants look a lot like the epilobium ciliatum, which don't look very attractive at all.. So I guess I will be pulling them up today before they start taking seed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here