Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
summeronmymind_gw

Salvia Hians

summeronmymind
18 years ago

I ordered this plant from Bluestone Perennials. It's supposed to get about 24" high, and "clumps of felt-like foliage carry spikes of medium blue from June to Spetember." I am beginning to think I have a mislabelled plant, however, because Bluestone says "[t]he leaves exude a very pleasantly scented oil that adds to the attractiveness of the plant." Of course, my plants are still small, but the leaves have no scent. They're felt-like, but they don't smell at all, even if I rub them. Does anyone have experience growing this from a small size?

Comments (7)

• CA Kate z9
    18 years ago

Herbals sometimes need to be adult to have many oils; also they have more oils in hot sun than cool-mild. You just may need to wait for summer.

• Salvia_guy
    18 years ago

The REAL Salvia hians is very difficult to locate in the trade. I have purchased seed sold as S. hians only to find out, after growing the seedlings on for a year, that I was sold S. forskaohlei. I think S. przewalskii is sold as S. hians also.

That said; can you post or send me a photo of your plant?

SG

• JerseySK
    18 years ago

Purchased this plant through LazySSFarms. Planted it in a woodland setting and as you noted, it did not have much of a scent. I am assuming it is the amount of sun and the age of the plant as someone else already noted.

If you are looking for Hardy Salvias (not the typical types found at Garden Centers) try LazySSFarms. Their plants have been excellent (price and sizes of plants)

• Gerris2 (Joseph Delaware Zone 7a)
    18 years ago

You can also try the fabulous Salvias Northwest for salvias, the proprietor sells both seeds and plants.

Joseph

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvias Northwest

• summeronmymind
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Salvia guy (and anyone else) - I don't know how to post photos. I realize that's beyond advice about salvias, so I won't pester you about it. As soon as I get somebody from my family to show me this (or maybe the GW web monitor), I'll post one.

• Salvia_guy
    18 years ago

Summer,

When you are logged onto GW scroll down below this message. You will see a POST A FOLLOW-UP section with your user name. Below the message box is a slot to post the URL of the photo you wish to post. I post photos from my photo albums. Copy the URL of the photo into the URL slot and name the link with the photo name in the NAME OF LINK slot. Then just post your message.

Like this:

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvia Album

• dogbane23
    18 years ago

summeronmymind,

I have wondered the same thing. I am growing some Salvia azurea 'grandiflora' from seed, and i notice a little bit of a scent but not what the catalogs describe it as being fragrant

I mean when they say scented i like to try to compare it to something like Salvia clevelandii(fragrant sage), or something like lavender.

I wish i could grow Salvia clevelandii where i live, but it is only hardy to zone 7 or 8. I am wondering if anyone can give me a list of Salvias that can grow in zone 4-5( minimum of -20 to -30 degrees)

So far I am thinking these will work:

Salvia azurea ( zone 4 or 5?)
    Salvia forskaohlei (some say zone 7?)
    Salvia glutinosa (some say zone 6-7)
    Salvia koyamae ( hardy to zone 4)
    Salvia lavandulifolia ( some listings say zone 5?)
    Salvia miltiorrhiza (unknown but occurs all over china)
    Salvia recognita ( a nursery in idaho grows this)
    Salvia cyanescens
    Salvia hians (hardy to 0 and lower)

I am wondering who knows which ones will survive the winter in Minnesota?

Catalogs will list Salvia forskaolei as being a hardy perennial like JLHUDSONSEEDSMAN does, yet hardy perennial is pretty vague to me, i mean zone 7 could be hardy or zone 6 or 5 or 4???

Does anyone else know if Salvia azurea is scented when it gets older??

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!