Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
salviakeeper

Salvia vaseyi

salviakeeper
14 years ago

Again, thanks to ccroulet for his directions and shared specifics about this species. I was unable to locate the bighorn sheep parkinglot population recommended by ccroulet, and if it's the place across the hwy from San Jacinto/Santa Rosa Mtn info center, I scoured the area and all gates to the trails were closed for the season. I'm still bewildered about identifying this species and I'm not quite sure if I really found Wand sage or these are S apianas or maybe even a hybrid population. Jepson just describes this species with flower clusters without stating 'clearly round' as described by J. Lightner in SD County Native Plants. I found these plants directly above the wash at the confluence of San Felipe and Grapevine Creeks in Anza Borrego. The inflorescense look very similar to S. apiana with 'spike-like clusters' with white w/purple speckled petals, much like those I've found at a much higher elevation at the foot of Granite Mountain (2800').

These plants were just beginning to flower and whether or not these plants are vaseyi, the hunt for and study of them was quite interesting.

Here is a link that might be useful: S vaseyi

Comments (3)

Sponsored