Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Salvia vaseyi

Posted by salviakeeper (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 9, 10 at 16:42

Again, thanks to ccroulet for his directions and shared specifics about this species. I was unable to locate the bighorn sheep parkinglot population recommended by ccroulet, and if it's the place across the hwy from San Jacinto/Santa Rosa Mtn info center, I scoured the area and all gates to the trails were closed for the season. I'm still bewildered about identifying this species and I'm not quite sure if I really found Wand sage or these are S apianas or maybe even a hybrid population. Jepson just describes this species with flower clusters without stating 'clearly round' as described by J. Lightner in SD County Native Plants. I found these plants directly above the wash at the confluence of San Felipe and Grapevine Creeks in Anza Borrego. The inflorescense look very similar to S. apiana with 'spike-like clusters' with white w/purple speckled petals, much like those I've found at a much higher elevation at the foot of Granite Mountain (2800').
These plants were just beginning to flower and whether or not these plants are vaseyi, the hunt for and study of them was quite interesting.

Here is a link that might be useful: S vaseyi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Salvia vaseyi

The parking area is up the hill. It's just a little square. Look at the GPS positions I gave with my pictures. We got back from the Whipple Mtns. two days ago, and I noticed an S. vaseyi just uphill ("uphill" as per Hwy 74) from the big view turnout on Hwy 74. Would be within walking distance of the vista point.
UPDATE: One of the S. vaseyi I photographed in 2008 was at 33.63234 N, 116.40409 W, elev. 2814 +- 26 ft. If you put this position into Google Earth, you'll land on the plant and you can see the parking area directly north of it.

o

Yep, i think i have to return to the desert to hunt down vaseyi again. This swarm of salvias is most likely apiana. I doesn't resemble either your photos, ccroulet, or those in Lightner's book. Dang!

o

The plants in your pictures are S. apiana.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here