Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

questions about late frost

christie_sw_mo
16 years ago

My salvia greggi plants lost their leaves over winter but started leafing out a week or so ago. I think the tops may be dead but I can see new leaves five or six inches from the base at least.

The next three nights are supposed to be below freezing here with the coldest night being around 25 degrees f.

Is a frost/freeze hard on the new leaves?

There are new leaves coming up from the bottom of my s. darcyi plants also.

Have you ever had salvias that made it through the winter and then got killed by a late freeze?

Comments (2)

• wardda
    16 years ago

No, it takes more than that to kill a greggii. I've seen them keep their green leaves when temperatures fall into the single numbers. I guess fresh green growth could be damaged by a hard freeze, but I've never had a greggii killed by cold at this time of year. Darcyi might be another story, and could be killed back to the ground. Mine has not started to grow yet so I have no clue whether it is even alive.

• hummersteve
    16 years ago

My greggii also have lost their leaves over the winter and even with the recent run of warm temps I have seen no sign of them coming to life. They look dead, but time will tell Ive heard that it takes a good warmup for them, maybe that means the soil has to warmup, first.

Sponsored