Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Argentinean Salvias

Posted by robinmi UK (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 25, 11 at 17:25

In the last 2 years, I have been happy to acquire some new Salvias from Argentina. They perform somewhat indifferently here, as we have had cool and cloudy summers for the last two years, and although they have thrived, totally winter-hardy, which was surprising, have been somewhat reluctant to flower.

Healthy plants have been 3 forms of Salvia pallida, 2 forms of Salvia brevipes, Salvia cardiophylla, and Salvia durifolia. Also Salvia nervosa, which I found to be not garden-worthy, but so rare, invaluable for collectors.

Recently found species in the Salta province are the beautiful Salvia calolophos and a pure white form of Salvia cuspidata. Nice photos of these can be seen at www.salvias.com.ar

Some of these will hopefully find their way into the northern hemisphere. Seeds are dodgy...........they germinate easily, but, they hybridise like mad!

I am at my wit's end, as I have at least 7 forms of Salvia stachydifolia! This is supposed to be a very variable (best ever masterpiece of understatement!) form. I have grown Salvias named as meyeri, rhinosina, and stachydifolia.

Seems that they are all forms of S. stachydifolia....all tuberous, and potentially very invasive. But beautiful.

As for S. guaranitica, lost count of my collection. Some are invasive, some are not, if not tuberous, they are probably hybrids.

Not allowed to mention Salvia 'Amistad'.....but watch for this introduction, probably next year. A true sensation.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Argentinean Salvias

Thank you, Robin, for this great information. Argentine Salvias are an up and coming topic. I for one appreciate your sharing.

o
RE: Argentinean Salvias

Thank You Robin and ditto what Kermit said.
Hopefully we will see more from South America as a whole.
It would be interesting to see more from the lamiacae as
a group as well!
Art

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here