Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What might I get from 'Cerro Potosi' seedlings?

Posted by christie_sw_mo Z6 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 17, 08 at 17:52

I collected seeds from my Salvia 'Cerro Potosi' plant last summer and now have 20+ seedlings. I don't know what color the species would be so I'm wondering if they'll all be about the same color or will vary a lot from the mama plant.
Also - Does anyone know if they're fast growing and will likely bloom the first year?
I'm down to just 9 Darcyi seedlings now. The number keeps dwindling for various reasons. It seems I always worry where I'm going to put them all when I grow plants from seed but by the time I plant them out, it's easy to find room. lol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What might I get from 'Cerro Potosi' seedlings?

Christie:
I have only one seedling that has appeared in my garden
from Cerro Potasi.The seedling is very different the parent.
the other parent was S.greggii "plum wine" it has smaller flowers and foliage like "plum wine" but the flower color is like Cerro Potasi. I have name it Salvia "Plum Crazy"
so as to keep with the parentage.The other thing you need to know is I have S. greggii directly on the other side of our sidewalk. I also have S.x Red Velvet seelings plus several other forms mixed in.Depenting on what other Salvia's you have they will bring in other genetics too.Your parent plants will influence that. I would also like to trade some seed and cuttings if your are interested. My e-mail is arthur.petley@sbcglobal.net I live in Austin Texas so some of my lower altitude Salvia's may not do as well in your environment. Have fun anyway you never know what nature will throw your way!!

o
RE: What might I get from 'Cerro Potosi' seedlings?

The closest other salvias would've been guarantica (one each of Black and Blue, the plain species, and Argentine Skies) about 10 or 12 feet away and some greggis about 20 feet away (Stampede Salmon, Navajo Rose, and Skylights Magenta. I didn't intentionally try to pollinate it with anything but you never know. I'd be happy to trade. I will send you an email. Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here