Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
metal garden markers for Salvias

Posted by hybridsage Zone 8 ,Austin,Texas (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 4, 10 at 18:09

What kind of garden markers do some of you use to
identify your Salvias with. I am looking for a source
that will take different weather conditions.Fading due to
intense sunlight is a problem here. Any suggestions?
Art

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: metal garden markers for Salvias

I guess I will use the type E series by PawPaw engraving.

o

although probably not the best for soft stemmed shrubs, I use the aluminum marking tags with wire that I get at theodore payne foundation in CA. Found them online at gemplers.com

o

You guys make me feel like white trash (LOL). I cut up venation blinds, sand them and write on them. Hey, That is one step up from cutting up yogurt containers. Mostly I reuse plant markers from the store and write on the other side. I was born a cheapskate. -Mara

o

Salviakeeper and Mara:
My garden is on tour this year so I am looking for a "Botanical Garden" look without the large expence
of something engraved. I should have been more specific in my post. Thank You both for the great ideas.
Art

o

I saw someone tell about using cut up tin or aluminum cans and scratching or stamping them.

o

I've been looking for the best prices on the metal plant markers. I haven't yet purchased these, so I can't report on the quality. I had saved this link -- 25 markers for $13.50 seems like a good price.

Cameron

Here is a link that might be useful: plant markers

o

I don't have a specific answer to your question, Art, but I've been to LOTS of Garden Tours. It is especially nice to have the lovely plants labeled with something large enough to find AND read. So, please use something large-ish for us old folks. :-)

o

Cameron & Westelle:
I am needing about 300 for my daylilies and about that for
my Salvias and other plant material I found 100 for 37.75
g series which I think has a nicer look with one bar not two. Westelle the plates are 1 1/4" Tall and 3 1/2' wide
and I am putting Botanical Name w "Cultivar" then Country or hybridizer Below that I think it should be big enough for most to read as they will stand about 10" Tall.
What do you all think?
Art

o

300! Oh my! Your garden must be fabulous.

I looked through my photos and you are including the same info (example pic below) that I see when I visit botanical gardens. I think you'll be so happy you documented and labeled.

o

I have some metal markers about that size and I can get the latin name and the popular name, but that's it. If it's important I put the "where I got it" on the back.

wonbyherwits: those markers would be wonderful, but very expensive.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here