Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Salvia Book!

Posted by robinmi UK (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 25, 14 at 19:05

Wonderful new book just published...

"The Plant Lover's Guide to Salvias" by John Whittlesey...ISBN 978-1-60469-419-2

Absolute "MUST-HAVE" for all Salvia lovers.

Robin.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Salvia Book!

I was thinking of ordering it, now that it has been endorsed by you, I will order it tomorrow....

Cheers Annette

o

Beautiful looking book -- it's up-to-date with newer Salvias such as 'Amistad' and my current favorite: Rich's 'Big Swing'. When his Canyon Creek retail nursery was still running I had the pleasure of talking to him on the phone and ordering several Salvias, including 'John Whittlesey' (no, he didn't name it after himself, someone else did :-)), a nice cross between S. darcyi and 'Hot Lips'.

o

Thanks for the recommendation, Robin, I'll check it out.

o

I have now purchased,just waiting for it to arrive in the mail, happy days....

Cheers Annette

o

My connection with Big Swing is my recognition that it might make a good salvia introduction, even on the east coast of the USA. Betsy Clebsch and Christian Froissart were admiring it in her garden, and he thought it was a cross of macrophylla with sagittata. I walked over and concurred with Christian.

Later, I got her permission to take a cutting with me, providing I held off a year for Cabrillo to introduce it. I also wanted some time to evaluate it at a few botanical gardens.

It was originally found there, and given to Betsy as a gift. She named it after her home on Skyline Drive.

o

Book arrive today, lovely pics, thanks for the recommendation Robin....

Annette

o

Thanks for posting this, Robin! I'm placing my order.

Carol in Jacksonville

o

Oh, thanks for the heads up!
I can never have too many books!
I really like Betsy Clebsch,s "The New Book of Salvias" but there have been so many new introductions in the past few years that 2003's Second edition is quite outdated now!
Heading to Amazon to place my order,
Thanks Robin!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here