Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The microphylla

Posted by wardda (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 18, 07 at 19:10

Because of a big project planned for this May in a sandy xeric area, I had posted a question about which greggii and microphylla might be good for this cold end of zone 7. Richard gave me a nicely detailed reply with a number of recommendations. I didn't have a lot of past experience with microphylla. Only Wild Watermelon and San Carlos Festival have been established in the garden. So I wasn't really prepared for the diversity in this species. Somewhere I read there were several very distinct populations and that the species itself was quite widespread in Mexico. Microphylla Orange Door and neurepia seem to share a singular vigor and the leaves seem similar with the latters leaves being much more pointy. At least at this stage they are very different from Wild Watermelon,San Carlos Festival, Hot Lips, or any of several others.

So can anyone direct me to a place where I can find out more? Not knowing the story bothers me a bit.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The microphylla

Salvia microphylla neurepia was formerly given varietal status by Epling. This variety is found mostly in the center of the range, and many collected forms have deltoid leaves. These include the deltoid-leaved form I collected in Hidalgo at a fairly low elevation, the form designated as neurepia collected by Yucca-Do, Hoja Grande (also by Yucca-Do), Orange Door (Yucca-Do again), and San Carlos Festival (Yucca-Do again). Wild Watermelon was collected at a very high location by Martin Grantham on Cerro Potosi, the highest peak in northeastern Mexico at a subalpine level.

They are all very tough and cold tolerant except my Hidalgo collection, which has good heat and humidity tolerance.

Hot Lips is a true microphylla from a high elevation in Oaxaca, and the Huntington form with the thick, soft stems and minty scent is also from Oaxaca or Belize and is the most tender of all microphyllas in cultivation right now. Hot lips is one of the most tough and durable forms. These last two look a lot alike except for the adaption to high and low elevation.

o
RE: The microphylla

Thanks Richard. Maybe I'll take some of those high mountain forms and have them associate with the low elevation forms and see what results.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here