Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hybridsage

Mesa Series Salvia Hybrids

hybridsage
14 years ago

Thought I would see if anyone has some info on this new series. I picked-up a 'Mesa Rose'.It is from the "Proven Winners" people which usually means they perform badly

in the south.Any information would be helpful.

Art

Comments (16)

• seafire1
    14 years ago

Actually I have Mesa Purple and Mesa Scarlet. The RTH love the purple, red is still not blooming that great. We lack sun for the past 5 days...

http://syngentaflowersinc.com/default.aspx?tabid=7&pid=35-1207

Here is a link that might be useful:

• rich_dufresne
    14 years ago

Is this a nice deep purple on an erect plant? That would make it relatively unique.

• CA Kate z9
    14 years ago

I like that purple too, Rich. Also, seafire's link said that it likes heat AND is drought tolerant.... my kind of Salvia.

• hybridsage
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the picture!
    I need to see if anyone is carrying Azure,Scarlet and Purple.
    If anyone can find some of these Please let me know I will
    be calling around to see if anyone here has some other colors.
    Art

• seafire1
    14 years ago

Yes Rich, the bloom is a deep purple and the RTH's love it. Ward has already put dibbs on some cuttings!

Pam

• marshah
    14 years ago

I don't know where you are, Art, but I just picked up a couple of the Mesa Purple at Smithfield Gardens in north Suffolk, VA. One of the tags describe it as a tender perennial that can tolerate a light frost. This might spell doom for mine this winter, unless a heavy mulching will carry them through...
    Marsha

• hybridsage
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Marshah:
    Being here in Austin I need to call around we have lots
    of people that sell Salvia greggii & Microphylla cultivars.
    Armand Hufault has a Velvet series, Tom Peace and Scott
    Ogden alway's have something new. My lowes has a few
    local greggii's hybrids like Pat Mcneal's Pastel Purple.They also sell lipstick ,flame S.guarnitiva 'Black & Blue last Year they carried some of the Navajo Series.
    Art

• freshair2townsquare
    14 years ago

what's "rth"?
    ~ freshair

• hybridsage
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Freshair:
    rth is Ruby throat hummingbird
    Art

• freshair2townsquare
    14 years ago

art ~

rth: jeez, duh
    mesa series: found them at robinsnestflower.com, but i don't know anything about them

~ freshair

• wardda
    14 years ago

Marshah, I am zone 6B/7A and a lot of Salvia greggii and microphylla are hardy for me - most types in fact. As long as the bed stays fairly dry in winter you should have no problem growing them. I don't have any experience with the Mesa Hybrids but suspect their survival is highly likely, and if not there are lots of others to try.

• marshah
    14 years ago

Art: Well, I don't suppose a nursery in SE Virginia will be very helpful to you in Texas, will it? You probably have many more resources available than I.

wardda: Thanks for the encouragement. I do have several that do well for me -- 'Maraschino', 'Hot Lips', 'Wild Watermelon' and 'Black and Blue' (the first three purchased from Rich Dufresne at the Norfolk Botanical Gardens spring sales in years past). I really love 'Diane', but the first one I bought didn't survive its first winter and the second lived only two seasons before biting the dust. 'Sierra San Antonio' was another failure for me. I'll keep trying. Really hoping the Mesa Purple does well, as it's a lovely deep shade.

Marsha

• seafire1
    14 years ago

RTH's are eating the Purple Mesa up! He prefers the purple to the Scarlet Red.

• steve-wright_att_net
    12 years ago

Ok I join this conversation a bit late,, ha ha. I just found the "mesa series scarlet and purple" at a local nursery that I usually will find s. greggii plants and these scarlet blooms knocked my socks off appear a true cherry color. The purple is on the light side. This appears to have the greggii leaves of cherry chief. I mention this because one site lists this as coccinea scarlet and purple which Im sure its not. The pics.

{{gwi:1240946}}

{{gwi:1240947}}

{{gwi:1240948}}

{{gwi:1240949}}

{{gwi:1240951}}

• hummersteve
    12 years ago

Last year I received some seeds that were only labeled salvia greggii pink and purple, IM assuming now that these were from that series. The purple didnt do well but the pink did excellent.

• hybridsage
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I had similar experience with the stampede series the purple/
    lavender form did not perform well. In this case the pinks
    were the winners at least out in my sunny (and hot) garden.
    Navajo series both the pink and red were winners.
    Art

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz