Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Salvia identication help

Posted by astresing Zone 8 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 13, 13 at 20:00

This plant showed up in my garden. It looked interesting, so I decided to see if it would bloom in the hopes I could ID it. The flowers are very light purple with an interesting pattern on them. The stems are square. The plants are under a foot tall. Let me know what other info is needed. Anyone recognize it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Salvia identication help

I think it is Germander (Wood-sage) Teucrium canadense. This is a widespread and variable North American species. If not that species, it is very definitely a Teucrium, since it has only the lowest lobe with any size to it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Germander (Wood-sage)

o

Thank you. My wild volunteer isn't quite as showy, but I think you're right. Appreciate the help.

o

It looks like Florida Betony (Stachys floridana) to me. If you are in Florida or the more coastal/warmer parts of the Southeastern US it is very likely. If so, it is said to be extremely invasive and hard to control so you may want to do some research. If you carefully dig up a plant and find a tuber that looks like a white grub or a white rattlesnake tail, then you have Stachys floridana.

I had some of the tubers hitchhike with some Crinums that I transplanted from south Georgia. Luckily, I found the tubers and got an I.D. before unleashing it in my yard.

I hope that helps even if it's not the happiest of news.
:)

o

Yep, it does have those underground tubers. I'll see if I can remove it today before it spreads much further. It's in loose dirt, so i should be able to get it out. It's too bad it's so invasive. I'm fighting a trumpet vine right now, so I'm not in the mood for any more invasive plants. Thanks for your help.

o

Yes, it is too bad that it's so invasive as it's a rather cute plant. The tubers are said to be edible and rather tasty too but I've never tried them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here