Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_gw

Salvia oppositiflora

jenn
18 years ago

I bought a new Salvia today: S. oppositiflora. It has the most amazing flame-orange blooms that appear to be covered with yellow hairs. Incredible! They were displayed next to S. spendens, and the blue-orange combination was just beautiful.

What can you tell me about this Salvia? (I already Googled it; I'm looking for personal experience.) The volunteer at the sale said it tends to have a lax habit, and indeed that appeared to be so based on the ones on display.

Thanks,

Jen

Comments (5)

• rich_dufresne
    18 years ago

Actually, this plant is now known to be a near relative, S. tubiflora, also from Peru, but from a lower altitude and closer to the Atacama Desert. This explains why it is easier to grow than most higher altitude Andean plants. It thrives in dry environments and needs air drainage as well as good soil drainage. It should grow to around 3 - 4 feet wide and around 2.5 feet tall, and bloom most of the summer.

It is obviously a good hummingbird plant, and can be propagated while in good growth. Take a cutting a month before the first frost, so that it will be well rooted at that time.

The floral stems exude their own tanglefoot to trap aphids.

• jenn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you, Richard. The blooms are the most striking orange I've ever seen -- and I'm normally not a fan of orange.

Since it thrives in dry environments and requires good drainage, I think it might be best to plant it in a pot with a good amount of gravel mixed in. We have heavy clay soil and, while I can grow a number of Salvias and even some Penstemons and Agastaches with good results, "dry" and "good soil drainage" sound more like a sandy soil type.

What are your thoughts?

Also, why the name change? Are S. oppositiflora and S. tubiflora two different plants with similar characteristics?

Jen

• rich_dufresne
    18 years ago

You are right about the soil type. I have gotten good results in sandy loam in North Carolina.

Tthe plant was introduced into the USA by Western Hills Rare Plant Nursery in Occidental, CA by Lerster Hawkins and Marshall Olbricht back in the late 70s. At the time it was keyed as oppositiflora by the Royal Botanic Garden at Edinburgh. Recently, a major Salvia enthusiast from France brought the matter of its identity to the same authority, and, on closer examination, it was decided that tubiflora was the true identity.

Expect a lot of changes with New (and Old) World sages, now that DNA studies are being conducted. The differences separating species in Salvia are sometimes minor, and revisions are constantly being made. Part of the problem is deciding on the values of the factors used to separate species, and the uniformity and appropriateness of the application of these values across the genus.

• CA Kate z9
    18 years ago

Jenn: where did you find this Salvia?

• sarahbn
    18 years ago

You can get it at Crownsville nursery This is my third year with this salvia.

Sponsored