Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dicot_gw

Soil mix for xeric salvias?

dicot
17 years ago

I'm wondering what everyone is using as germinating mix for drought-loving salvias? I'm currently trying to germinate S. leucophylla, S. virdris, S. reptans, S. Africana-lutea, S. greggii and will be starting S. mellifera, S. dorii, and S. apiana soon in 6 packs and 4" plastic pots in my Los Angeles backyard in full sun.

The more specific, the better. Are you using a soilless mix and liquid fertilzer after germination? If so, what is it and do you then prick out at the 4 leaf stage? Do you mix potting soil with sand, vermiculite, or perlite? If organic matter is used, What is in the compost mix - manure(type?), alfalfa meal, forest profucts, kelp, ...? Something entirely different?

How often do you water after inital germination? When do you like the get the seedlings into native soil in the yard?

Thanks so much for any help, as I've been an active seed trader this spring and would hate to waste these exchanges. I've grown hundreds of salvias, but almost all from 1 gallon nursery stock, and am quite new at propagating from seed.

Thanks - Marc

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner