Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Salvias in pots don't rebloom

Posted by SiriElizabeth Bay area CA (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 2, 11 at 21:41

hi there,
the salvias i buy at summerwinds never rebloom on my balcony in their pots. i have a couple of hours of full sun then it's dappled shade. is that enough sun? some of them are marked for some shade too. also, i potted them with summerwinds soil and never fertilized. i water them when the top of the soil feels dry.
thanks!
siri

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Salvias in pots don't rebloom

SiriElizabeth:
What Salvias did you purchase?
You will need to fertilize your plants as the nutrients will leach out of the soil very quickly.
I will wait for your reply as to the Salvias you purchased.
Thanks
Art

o
RE: Salvias in pots don't rebloom

Where in the Bay area and the elevation may have an effect, based on how long it takes for fog to break up and temperatures to rise.

Cool nights with bright sun and day temps of around 70 - 80 degrees give the best flowering results. Dappled shade isn't the problem, I think.

Do the plants use water quickly? This might be a sign the plants are rootbound. Plants that are mildly rootbound are more likely to bloom, unless they are stressed. A lot of nitrogen would result in a lot of green growth with little bloom. Humusy soils will give very robust plants

The other factor is day length. Many sages are short day bloomers. The blooming in these sages can be controlled by daytime maximums. Too hot, no bloom. Long day bloomers like S. miniata will bloom over a pretty good temperature range.

Have you had a chance to visit Cabrillo College, Strybing in Golden GAte Park, or the UC Berkeley BG in Strawberry Canyon?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here