Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Salvia lyrata

Posted by ralphw z7b-8 NC (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 26, 11 at 22:25

One of my neighbors found a patch of interesting plants in our former lake (now dry) bed, some of which he dug up, potted and added to his backyard container garden. He asked me to identify them. At about the same time a friend gave me a Salvia 'Volcano' plant which I determined is a form of S. lyrata. When my neighbor's and my plants started to bloom this week, I realized that they were the same except for their leaf color. Ironically, I had also just planted some seed of S. lyrata that I had got from Brent. Since this is a Salvia that is native to the our area (North Carolina), I started wondering whether it could be crossed with any other Salvias and / or if any work had been done to improve it. The dark coloration of the veins of the leaves suggest that it has the potential of being developed for its foliage like Tiarellas, for example.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Salvia lyrata

I have not seen any hybrids in the trade.
Just different forms.
Art

o

Hybridization is possible, but likely with other related sages mostly from Texas and Africa.

What other sages do you have that might have crossed with it?

o

Rich, I just discovered S. lyrata and I was considering trying to cross it with a red flowered S. coccinea. I also have a couple of S. argentea about to bloom. Could they be crossed with lyrata?

o

S. lyrata is more likely to cross with S. African sages like S. muirii and S. scabra, not so much but still possible with those you mention. Maybe 3 to 10 seeds form out of 100 for the remotely related ones.

o

It seems since your original post some have been developed. "Purple Knockout" is available from American Beauties, supposedly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here