Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donnabaskets

Mystic Spires

Donna
17 years ago

I purchased this Salvia this spring without knowing anything about it. After reading some of these threads, I am certain I have come to the right place! Wow!

What can you tell me about this plant? How large and wide will it grow? Is it truly perennial? What, if anything, do I need to do to insure that it will return reliably for me? I already adore it. Can it be divided? Cuttings? Seed? Any and all info will be deeply appreciated.

Comments (3)

• Gerris2 (Joseph Delaware Zone 7a)
    17 years ago

Check out this web site for the hot scoop on Mystic Spires (see link below). I use google all the time to get information on plants, that is how I got this link. Enjoy it! I recently bought May Night Salvia on an impulse purchase, need to get it in the ground soon.

Have fun!

Joseph
    Wilmington, Delaware USA

Here is a link that might be useful: Mystic Spires Salvia Information

• robinmi_gw
    17 years ago

I purchased Mystic Spires here in the UK last year, and had thought that after a year, it would attain the size of Indigo Spires. But I was wrong, and here it only grew to 2 ft. It survived the winter outside. For insurance, I took cuttings of both forms for the greenhouse. Both flourished, and now, Indigo is twice the size of Mystic. Also Mystic already has flower buds. The link that Joseph sent describes it very well.

It can only be propagated from cuttings, as it is a sterile hybrid farinacea x longispicata.

It is a seriously good Salvia!

Robin.

• peterls
    17 years ago

I think it is brilliant. It is neat and tidy and was in full flower for 14 weeks last summer in the UK. I am glad to hear Robin that yours survived outside. I didn't take the chance, I cut it back hard and overwintered it under glass. It outside now and growing away strongly.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES