Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dyhgarden

Salvia nemorosa 'Marcus' and 'Carradonna' seeded out?

DYH
14 years ago

I have 3 'Marcus' and 7 'Carradonna' that were planted within a few feet of each other in my butterfly garden. Marcus is shorter, but the foliage is similar to Carradonna. Marcus has been in the garden since 2007 and Carradonna was planted in spring 2008.

I seem to have some "extras" that have magically appeared at the bottom of the slope (a very moist area over the winter where I never plant salvias). The foliage really looks like nemorosa. Or, a weed that's doing a great impersonation!

The only other salvias in that area are greggii and guaranitica 'Purple Majesty' and the foliage doesn't match these babies. Is it possible that nemorosa seeded out like that? I know I can wait and see the height/color, but is there another way to tell which salvia seedlings are growing? I'd like to move them to a more suitable location before they drown in the next big thunderstorm as they are now growing in the rain garden.

Thanks

Cameron

Comments (7)

• DYH
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mother Nature answered my question this morning. A bloom spike shot up and the stem color is that of Marcus instead of darker Caradonna. The flower looks like it will be purple when fully opened and the spike is less than 1 foot high -- also matching Marcus.

• DYH
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This is one of the seedlings. The leaves first appeared flat on the ground last year and I left them alone to see if they would turn into anything. Quite a few of these have now sprouted up while there are more flat leaves, too. A blanket flower seedling is right beside it and a rudbeckia seedling behind it. The other interesting thing is that asiatic lilies are popping up beside one of the other salvias. The soil in my butterfly garden must be perfect for seed starting! I didn't sow any of these seeds, they all washed down the hill into this low, moist area.

• hybridsage
    14 years ago

I am glad you have seedlings come up.Mine never do that
    here in the south.
    Art

• DYH
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I actually found a photo that I took of the leaves last June 18 2008 so that I could document and follow the plant to see what emerged. For awhile, I thought it was going to be a verbascum, although my 'Southern Charm' variety isn't supposed to seed. Glad that I didn't pull it up when I was weeding!

So, it took a year to see a bloom after the seedling showed up.

• hybridsage
    14 years ago

My Salvia microphylla,greggii,farinacea and miniata all
    seed out and it takes a about a year for them to bloom also.That is a good Idea to document that.We have Verbascum thapsus native here so it goes everywhere. Who knows what will come up. Have fun enjoying your seedlings.
    Art

• MissMyGardens
    14 years ago

Cameron, what a perfect find! To say your soil must be right for seed sowing is an understatement. Beautiful.

I'm inspecting every sprout on the ground to try and pull only weeds in case something reseeded last year. Lots of comparing seedling images to what's popping out of the ground. The one thing about which there's no confusion is miserable Garlic Mustard...LOL.

• MissMyGardens
    14 years ago

Cameron, what a perfect find! To say your soil must be right for seed sowing is an understatement. Beautiful.

I'm inspecting every sprout on the ground to try and pull only weeds in case something reseeded last year. Lots of comparing seedling images to what's popping out of the ground. The one thing about which there's no confusion is miserable Garlic Mustard...LOL.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor