Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanting / Dividing Perennial Salvia

Posted by krahn 5 (My Page) on
Wed, May 3, 06 at 0:20

I have just attempted to divide and transplant what I believe to be Perennial Blue Salvia. The shoots are approximately 12 inches long and since I dug them out to transplant them 3 days ago,most of the shoots are drooping or wilting. Should these perk up or is there something I could / should do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanting / Dividing Perennial Salvia

Have you given them water AND shade until they recover? You also might need to prune them back a bit.

o

They've had plenty of water and shade the first couple of days after transplanting because we've had rain and little sunshine. They do seem to be looking a little better today. The next day or so is supposed to be sunny so do I need to shade them somehow? Does it matter how far I prune them back?

o

My gardening buddy has pulled up lots of black&blue sage, bog sage and other perennials over the years to share with me. I find that maximum survival rate is obtained by potting the plants (not individually;I just gather bunches of stalks of the same kind)and setting them in the shade and keeping them watered for maybe a week. By that time, they've recovered from the shock and are all perked up. You can then separate them or leave them in bunches and plant them in the garden.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here