Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Salvia Greggii not getting any new growth yet.

Posted by DebraV 6 TX Panhandle (dvessels@cableone.net) on
Fri, May 16, 14 at 0:36

I have Salvia "Heat Wave" Glitter and Greggii Red Sage that I planted last year.. I haven't seen any new growth on them yet.. I bought one of each, new this year and planted them in April and the Pink Glitter, is already blooming.. Do you think I have lost the two I planted last year? Or do I just need to be patient? Last year was the first year I planted Salvia, I did not realize they would be so late coming up.
Debra

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Salvia Greggii not getting any new growth yet.

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Mon, May 19, 14 at 18:58

I suspect they're gone...it was a hard winter.

o

I lost one that I've had in ground for 5 years now. Actually the whole thing didn't die..but most of it did. What little was left took forever to leaf out. It was that last freeze we had..after I had cut most things back already. Even roses were severely damaged.
I finally just ripped it out and brought another over that has been in too much shade for too long.

I've never lost one before. :( Lucky for us they are easy to find and don't cost an arm and a leg to replace.

o

dbarron, I suspect you are right, I guess I need to get some replacements. Thanks
Debra

o

My salvia Greggi (cherry sage) I planted in fall survived the winter and is blooming like crazy. So, perhaps, yours is gone.

o

had a beautiful salvia bush last year, this year nothing is coming up...is it dead? I live in the Adk Mtns

o

Um, is Adk = Adirondack? It really helps with advice if both petitioners and advice givers give more details, like locations and USDA zones. Soil types and drainage ifo is also useful.

I just did a quick tour of the J C Raulston Arboretum's Salvia collection, and most of their sages made it. Exceptions were Cherry Chief (last year, it was a bit sparse from old age and needed replacement, anyway), S. chionophylla, S. microphylla deltoid-leaved, and S. mexicana Limelight. I would have expected these to die off anyway. Greggii survivors include: Grace Pink, Red Letter, Viva, Diane, Dark Dancer, Pink Preference, Teresa, Flame, and Lipstick. Both S. regla Jame (Coahuila) and the Huntington BG form are healthy.

And the S. microphylla San Carlos Festival was huge and lush.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here