Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kal2002

Phlomis fruticosa

kal2002
17 years ago

This plant was given to me last year. The tag says it is a phlomis fruticosa lavendar. It is about 2 feet tall in a very small pot. It needs to be repotted. I found out from internet that it is commonly called the Jerusalem sage. I was looking for information about it before I repot it into a bigger pot but there is not much posted out there. Is anyone familiar with this plant? Thanks.

Comments (8)

• rosewomann
    17 years ago

This site should help.

Rose

Here is a link that might be useful: comprehensive Phlomis site

• CA Kate z9
    17 years ago

I have Jerusalem Sage in two places NOT in pots. I usually prune them back each winter to lower growth. One I pruned last winter and it is now it's usual 6' x 6' and in full yellow-flower; the other didn't get pruned so it is now at least 10' tall and 6-7' wide and also madly blooming. (I'm not at home right now or I'd post a pic.) I'm not sure if keeping it in a pot would keep it small or kill it.

• kal2002
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Westelle,

Thanks for the info. Maybe I should keep it in a pot to contain its size. I was told that it is a bush but she did not tell me that it can get to be 6'x 6'. It was doing ok until I forgot to water it. It lost all its leaves but they are slowly coming back in. I would love to see a picture of yours whenever you have time to post a picture. I will do the same when mine blooms.

• CA Kate z9
    17 years ago

The 6 x6' shrub is that size because I pruned it severly in the winter. The big shrub, 10 x 7' didn't get pruned LAST winter only... it does usually get pruned too.

I guess if you have it in a huge pot in a spot with plenty of room it will do.

Anyone else have any info?

• youreit
    17 years ago

No info, but I wanted to say that I saw one of these while plant shopping a few weeks ago, and I REALLY wanted it. Alas, it was in a huge pot, and far too expensive for my budget that day.

Brenda

• hitexplanter
    17 years ago

In a nursery setting I have maintained 1 gallon and 5 gallon phlomis fructicosa and it can handle containers but resents it for lack of room to grow and here in central texas is tough to keep watered during the summers. It could be kept in a ten gallon maybe and then root and top pruned each season. How big is it now?
    I have two in my landscape which is a shallow rocky poor soil and it is only 2x2 feet after 2 years. I suspect that my insistance on survival on the mostly naturally harsh conditions of the texas hill country keeps it smaller as it does with many of my salvias. I hate to use my own water. Average rainfall for here is close to 20 inches per year. I love my sage and all my salvias but only the strong and well adapted survive and thrive.
    This is my first post but want to help others as I can with salvia ideas especially for the central texas area. I have been involved with a nursery that had a collection of almost 200 salvias a few years ago and I am enthralled with the possiblities this genus offers us for xeric or shade options. Remember all salvias are sages but not all sages are salvias. Thanks for letting me share. David

• kal2002
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Daivd,

It is about 2 feet tall. I intend to plant it in a bigger pot because I don't want it to get really big.

• lildebb
    17 years ago

I planted mine in April and my plants have barely bloomed or grown...I expected them to grow faster, but they are getting only afternoon sun (against an east facing wall)...any suggestions? I have two different varieties...the same issue with my lion's tail....can they be over fertilized/over watered?....

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County