Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kal2002

Where to buy fruit-scented salvia's?

kal2002
17 years ago

Hi everyone,

It has been a while since I visited this forum. I finally made room in my yard for more than 1 salvia. I have a pinapple salvia and I want more of the fruit-scented ones. I just ordered a few fruit-scented salvia's from Mountain Valley. I ordered:

Salvia grahammii x microphylla - Marashino Cherry salvia

Salvia greggii - Raspberry Royal salvia

Salvia microphilla cv - wild watermelon salvia

They do not have a few others that I would like to have. Does anyone know of a mail-order nursery that might carry these:

Salvia dorisiana - Peach scented

Salvia mellisodora - Grape scented

Salvia pomifer - Apple scented

Salvia elegans - Honey melon scented

Thanks.

Comments (9)

• penny1947
    17 years ago

Kal,
    The three salvias that you ordered aren't fruit scented....at least I can say for certain that mine never were. I had Maraschino Cherry and Wild Watermelon.

You can check A World of Salvias for current availability of

Salvia elegans 'Golden Delicious' is available from Plant Delights Nursery

Penny

• kal2002
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh no, that was why I ordered the Maraschino Cherry and Wild Watermelon salvias. Somehow I thought they are fruit-scented. Are there others besides the ones that I mentioned that are fruit-scented?

• penny1947
    17 years ago

I meant to say in my previous post I was only familiar with wild watermelon and maraschino cherry and that Raspberry Royal may be raspberry scented have heard conflicting reports on that .
    Other fruit scented salvias are
    Tangerine sage
    Blackcurrant sage
    Pineapple sage

Penny

• rosewomann
    17 years ago

No scent on my "Raspberry Royale".
    Rose

• brenda_near_eno
    17 years ago

The salvias you ordered (microphyllas and greggiis) have names that refer to color, not scent. I love the smell of greggiis and microphyllas - sort of fresh herbal smell, and hummingbirds just love them. They bloom a very, very long time and are immune to most pests. Pineapple salvia is Salvia elegans, and it does smell like pineapple when crushed. I was unaware of other scents, so please let us know what you find out.

• kal2002
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I read it somewhere that these are fruit scented:
    Salvia pomifer - Apple scented

Now I wonder if they are really scented. Does anyone know?

• helena_z8_ms
    17 years ago

I have salvia dorisiana, mellisodora and elegans honey melon. My plants are still young but each has a nice scent.
    I'm not familiar with s. pomifer....
    Helena

• youreit
    17 years ago

S. dorisiana is actually commonly called fruit-scented sage or peach sage. It's said to have a "fruity" scent to the leaves, but not necessarily peach.

The 'Honey Melon' is merely a miniature pineapple sage (S. elegans), with the same pineapple scent to its leaves.

S. melissodora is commonly called grape-scented sage, and S. pomifera is known as apple sage or apple-bearing sage, so it's unlikely that its leaves really smell like apples.

Brenda

• rich_dufresne
    17 years ago

The scent on the accession of Honey-Melon sage I am familiar with has a melony note in addition to the basic pineapple scent. The other forms of pineapple sage all fall into a tighter group, as far as the odor variations are concerned.