Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Salvia ID

Posted by muddytoez8wa z 8, WA (My Page) on
Mon, May 8, 06 at 2:47

I purchased this plant at a local nursery, the only one of its kind there, with no tag and no one could ID it other then to 'guess' that it was a salvia. I Have found nothing in hours of searching the web.
The leaves are very fuzzy, almost prickly, the stems are square and have a crown kind of growth on them which the stem grows through and buds developing above the crown.

I would be very greatful if anyone can tell me what kind of slavia it is or what else it might be.

If the photo link is messed up, (newbie), please e mail me for a picture of the plant.
Thanks ... Sandy

Here is a link that might be useful: unknown sage

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Salvia ID

I think you have a Phlomis species. The floral structure you refer to as a crown is called a glomerule, and it is also found in Monarda and Leonotis. There are Salvias that form glomerules like clinopodioides, but not like your plant.

Jim Mann Taylor has the British National Collection of Salvias. His web page has a lot of images to review. By the way, many Phlomis are called Jerusalem Sages, so you and the nursery were not too far off.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jim Mann Taylor's National Collection of Phlomis

o
RE: Salvia ID

Thank you very much Rich, for your response and all the great information. I will post again when I find out for sure and hopefully have a pic with the plant blooming later in the season.
Sandy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here