Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looks like a Salvia but is it?

Posted by jimcrick UK (My Page) on
Sun, May 27, 07 at 7:16

It grows as reasonably hardy herbaceous perennial in Hertfordshire, UK, but would no doubt persist above ground in a more gentile climate. Grows to about 2ft, stems square. Leaves are a pale green, fairly smooth, not sticky. I haven't seen it in any of the usual references - Yeo, Clebtsch, Salvia Guy or Robin's site - makes me wonder if it really is a Salvia. When it flowers this year I really must take a closer look at the flower detail to get some botanical clues!

Jim
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looks like a Salvia but is it?

• Posted by cait1 VIC Aust (My Page) on
    Mon, May 28, 07 at 8:47

Looks like lavanduloides.
Amazing plant you have there. Seems to be difficult to grow here in the Melbourne area of Oz.
Cait

Here is a link that might be useful: S lavanduloides

o

It certainly looks like S.lavanduloides. But what time of the year was your photo taken? I used to grow this, and I am in Surrey, UK, but never had it in flower until October. The cacaliaefolia underneath it looks healthy!

Robin.

o

Thanks Cait & Robin. I must admit that lavanduloides was the closest match that I could find but somehow felt it didn't fully tie in. The pics were taken 4/9/06 and 1/11/06. I've added a further pic to this post taken 22/8/06.
Robin, if you'd like a cutting of my plant, I've sent you an e-mail and we can link up from there.
Jim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here