Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

Salvia greggii Stampede Series at Lowe's

christie_sw_mo
16 years ago

I found another new for me salvia at Lowe's. They had two colors marked Stampede Series, a pale creamy yellow and another that was salmon pink. I'm trying to find stuff for hummingbirds so I bought the pink but the other was a pretty color too. I checked another Lowe's to see if they had different colors and they didn't have them at all.

Has anyone ever had Lowe's special order plants? I asked a clerk while I was there if they had Black and Blue and she said no but she could try to look it up and order it for me. I didn't know they did that. I was on a time crunch and couldn't have her check into it at the time. I'd like to see what's available to order though.

Comments (27)

• rich_dufresne
    16 years ago

In addition to the Stampede Salvia greggii series from Bodger seed, there is another: Skylights, a Salvia greggii series from Syngenta(?). The latter was trialled at the University of Georgia last year.

I do not know if either series is under Patent Protection. Some of the Navajo series from Ball Seed is.

Here is a link that might be useful: Navajo series from Ball

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I bought one each of the Skylights and Stampede series and I've seen a couple Navajo series plants too. One was a 3 gallon Navajo Purple at KMart. Salvia greggii is usually much harder to find in my area so I'm just thrilled.
    I wonder if the hardiness will be about the same.

• wardda
    16 years ago

Navajo Bright Red has proven hardy in the Philadelphia area; I've had it for about four years now. One of the Stampede series was for sale locally and has been incorporated into a sage hedge that was planted a couple of weeks ago. I'm one zone warmer than you so success here won't necessarily be meaningful for you.

• penny1947
    16 years ago

Christie

I just bought a 'Stampede' while on a trip to Detrroit so I will be testing it for the first time this year. the color was marked 'cherry'
    BTW, All my salvias are doing GREAT!

Penny

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey Penny - You travel a long way to buy plants. lol I'd like to hear how it does. By the way, one of my subrotunda seedlings looks a little different than the others. Do yours all look the same? Mine are still pretty small so no flowers yet. Hope they grow fast.

The Navajo I saw at K-mart was in a 3 gallon container but I found a smaller one this week that was cheaper. I think it was Navajo Rose. Also found Cape Fuchsia 'Devil's Tears' at the same K-mart which I think may be hardy for me from what I've read.

I FINALLY found Black and Blue today at a Farm and Home store. I almost didn't stop but so glad I did since I'd checked every nursery around.

Wardda - Thanks for the info on the Stampede and Navajo. I didn't realize that Philadelphia is in zone 7. I'm in zone six but our cold temps are usually short lived so some zone 7 plants do ok here. It's fun to try. Maybe Mother Nature will go easy on us next winter. That would help a bunch.

• agrowingpassion
    16 years ago

Just discovered the Greggii Stampede salvias. I go to the Farmers Market in Raleigh and one vendor has at least 4-6 different Stampede salvia. I bought a great sharp pink and a lavender one. I have many other Greggii and I'm not sure what the Spampede series means? Also the Nav. series you are talking about on this thread. Richard D.-- Maybe you can explain this to me. Are they different cultivars? Thought the Greggii was the cultivar? Love the salvias of any kind. Black and Blue and the Indigo Spires are favorites for taller ones. Always looking for new Salvias now have about 30 different ones.

• wardda
    16 years ago

the ones I found were purplish. Greggii is a species of salvia. The named varieties of greggii are from cuttings taken from a single original plant that had characters that were desirable. Think apples - every Winesap in existance is from one original tree.

• dakster
    16 years ago

Hold up.. Lowe's can order plants? I never knew that, then again, I never had much faith in the garden dept to ask.

• jimernster
    16 years ago

This past week I picked up a few pots of the Salvia greggii Stampede at our local Habitat Restore for 50cents each. I was elated, then began to wonder if they were hardy for my area. I noticed that you posted they have wintered over in your area with no problem. I am in Louisville, KY zone 6a. What zone are you in wardda? Thanks. Connie

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That's a bargain Connie! I'm having mixed luck wintering over salvia greggii but have fun trying. The weather is different every year. For 50cents, you might as well try.

• jimernster
    16 years ago

Thanks Christie! You are right, for the price, it's worth a try. Hope they survive. They are a beautiful deep pink.
    Connie

• seafire1
    16 years ago

I had cream stampede on my deck all summer and the RTH hummers did use it. :)

Pam 6b

• rich_dufresne
    16 years ago

Tony Avent and I compared notes on the Stampede series last weekend and we both concluded that they were more likely to bloom over summer than other varieties. Most grew out to the same size also, except the yellow which was taller.

• wardda
    16 years ago

Yes, they bloomed quite well through the drought and heat and stayed something like a foot or smaller. The yellow one was not available locally so I can't comment on its size. I need to check a second planting I haven't visited in nearly two months, a planting in richer soil.

• wardda
    16 years ago

I took a look at the long bush sage hedge this morning on the way to work. Currently the Stampedes are barely flowering, while some of the other greggii like Wild Thing, White, and Navaho Bright Red are putting on their best display in months. All of the microphylla except neurepia are also blooming much better than the Stampede.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My salmon colored one has grown a bit and is blooming nicely now. I'm trying to decide whether to risk leaving it in the ground or pot in up and move it into my garage. If I pot up ALL my plants that are iffy in zone six and bring them in, I'll have to leave my van outside all winter. hmmmm lol

• penny1947
    16 years ago

Christie,
    After finding the one in Michigan, I found two more at lowes that were labeled Angelonias and were marked $1.00 each. I planted those two in the ground and the original purchase was potted up.
    I brought one of my stampedes in for the winter. It is doing well I have one in the ground in a very protected area on the south side of the house. It still had green leaves until our last storm. I really wanted to test the hardiness of this plant so I figured I could afford to test it in the ground since it was only $1.00. I also sowed a few seeds about a week ago and one has germinated so far.

BTW I know this reply is way late but all my subrotunda look the same.

Penny

• jfr1107
    16 years ago

Hi Everyone,

How "different" is the Stampede series from other greggii cultivars/selections? Is the yellow, really Yellow, or more of very light creamy white? Are these just more greggii's that would spring up naturally from hybridizing or is there really something different here?

I have been put off by all the ones that are touted to be something new and yet turn out to be nearly the same as something else I already have or had in the past. Things like S. x jamensis "San Antonio" and of course, "Hot Lips" (I guess that one is technically stated to be a microphylla) are really something different, but a lot of these other named ones look like something that has already been around.

Thanks in advance.
    John R in ABQ

• wardda
    16 years ago

So far so good with these. There are still a few green leaves on the ones planted last year in a very dry site. The ones in damper conditions don't show life but there is now way to know for sure until at least April.

• rich_dufresne
    16 years ago

They are indeed similar to others on the market. Differences, if amy will have to be determined by trialling over a number of years with different weather conditions. Last year, all but the Stampede Lavender did well during the heat. The yellow one seems a lot like M. Nevin Smith's Moonlight out of Suncrest.

Very often, plants will do well in pots the first year, then in later years their performance drops as they experience different weather, and perhaps also, as they continue to interact with the dominant microflora and microfauna in the soil, they either adapt or suffer attack. The little critters in the soil are there as part of the environmental balance and help keep out unsuitable strangers.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Penny - I'm still following this post. My subrotundra that looked different from the others looked exactly like a coccinea. I think it was just a seed that snuck in. I didn't bring in any of my salvias. I intended to. I had some that were very small that I grew from seed and I was going to pot them up but got busy with other things (had to do some remodeling after a kitchen fire). I'm crossing my fingers that most of my zone-iffy salvias will return. We haven't gotten down to zero yet this winter but the last month or so, it's been pretty soggy. : ( Only one of my false yucca seeds germinated last year but it never grew any true leaves for some reason and finally died.

John R. - the yellow greggi I saw was butter colored, not bright yellow but not off-white so I guess it just depends on whether you like that color. I don't care for bright yellow so I thought it was kinda pretty. The best greggi's for me are the ones that come back after winter. lol

I'll be kicking myself if my salvias don't come back. I saved some seeds (greggi, guaranitica and darcyi) but they got exposed to a lot of heat when we had our fire then were stored in my shed until January. I put them in there because the bag they were in was so smoky then I forgot where they were. I'm going to try to plant some anyway just in case.

• bindersbee
    16 years ago

Home Depot can order plants in too. As crappy as it is, these 'big box' stores cut special deals with the big national plant introduction companies which means they can often get plants that you can't yet get in a local nursery. I think HD has online ordering too. Anyway, I was shocked last time I looked through their online store and saw some of the 'haute couture' of the plant world availble there when you couldn't yet get them at the high-end, local nurseries where you'd expect to find them.

• hummersteve
    15 years ago

Christie--- I also got a stampede series from lowes and that was all it was marked but this guy really spread and I hope it comes back for me. I dont have a pic of when it was its largest but heres a couple of pics the first pic at its smallest.

{{gwi:1241631}}

this guy likes some elbow room
    {{gwi:974397}}

• hybridsage
    15 years ago

Hummersteve:
    I have tried Stampede Lavender which did not fair very
    well through our drought this year.It is still hanging on
    but bloom was not anything to write home about.Stampede
    Cherry did very well for me, I hope the Stampede Punch
    you have will do well also.I have not tried Stamped Citron
    it does not appear to be available in our market.
    Art

• hummersteve
    15 years ago

Art
    Im glad to hear someone put a name to what I have, I didnt know. It did very well for me last summer now if it comes back for me, Im sure it will do well again. I have to admit I was surprised at the growth pattern of this plant.

• hybridsage
    15 years ago

Hummersteve
    Where are you from? I see the clay soil what looks like nutsedge to right of your S.guarnitica"Black & Blue". In front of your Stampede Punch is a yellow ground cherry yes
    all weeds but looks like weeds we get here in Austin Tx.
    Which tells me we are close to the same USDA Zone.
    Art

• hummersteve
    15 years ago

Art -- Im afraid to say we are pretty far apart as Im in zone 6 central indy. Theres a lot of times I wish I lived farther south like now. We are getting an arctic blast -2 temps tonight and -8-10 on thurs night. Those are actual temps by the way.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor