Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to treat non-hardy perennial salvia

Posted by sujiwan 6 PA (My Page) on
Fri, May 18, 07 at 8:37

Hey--I didn't realize there was a salvia forum!
Last year was the inception of my summer border and I tried both the hardy, annual and tender perennial salvias. My culinary salvias are doing very well but I lost other flowering types to the winter and probably to less than optimal drainage during that season.

Three questions:
1.What specifically are you adding to soil to improve drainage? My beds are all native silty loam with some mushroom compost added.

2. I have a large grassy area that only has an inch or so of topsoil on it due to previous owners putting down packed gravel to drive on. If I wanted to make a raised bed for non-hardy salvias, agastache and similar needs plants on this area (full sun) what would the ideal raised bed mix be and how deep to make it above the packed ground?

3. Is there are way to overwinter the tender salvias inside somehow or is it not worth it outside their normal climatic zone?

Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to treat non-hardy perennial salvia

I've had success in similar situations by bringing in sand and raising the bed about 4 inches or so. Some bush sages that have been particularly hardy for me have been: S. microphylla San Carlos Festival, S. X Maraschino, S. greggii Wild Thing, S. Raspberry Delight, and for Agastaches Desert Sunrise and rupestris. The herbacious perennial sage Black & Blue just might work for you too. If you are in the Philadelphia area there is a new public garden just across the river at Palmyra Cove Nature Park. We just put in a 400 foot row of the plants you are asking about and added patches of others in various areas around the center. By next year we'll begin to have a clue about which of the many kinds are hardy there. Interested growers will be able to get cuttings to try for themselves.

o
RE: How to treat non-hardy perennial salvia

Wardda

Some areas of my land are clay and other areas are sandy rocky soil if you want to call it that. Due to suggestions from you and because of my conditions for the first time this year I have been playings with raised beds and so far my plants are doing well. I have done this with all my plants, salvias, tomatoes, zinnias etc. For my mix I use scotts select garden soil and a mix of composted cow manure, Thanks Wardda.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here