Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandyray

Best hardy salvia in hot sun & sandy soil?

brandyray
13 years ago

I am thinking of taking advantage of Bluestone's end of spring sale (many plants half off), and wondering which salvia would do best here. Color wise, I prefer blue or red flowers. Of course, at this time of year, I will have to pot them up til fall to give them the best chance of surviving. Looking forward to hearing your recommendations. Brandyray

Comments (13)

• rich_dufresne
    13 years ago

First, I hope you are able to work in a good amount of compost, then mulch with hardwood bark mulch, which will break down into the kind of humus sages love. This will do a lot to reduce night heat stress.

I'd go with microphyllas, greggiis, their hybrids; guaraniticas and hybrids; leucanthas and hybrids; involucratas, puberulas, and their hybrids; mexicanas; azurea grandiflora; reptans, west Texas form; chamaedryoides, muelleri, lycioides and hybrids; and regla forms.

There are others, but this will do for now. I'd avoid the nemerosas and other European sages, especially if you don't plan on using compost. They do much better in USDA zones 5 and 6.

Of course, we all have our own peculiar soils and microclimates, so doing some experimentation and observation is always in order.

• brandyray
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, Rich. I did work some compost in when I started this bed several years ago, and I do use hardwood mulch to reduce weeds and improve moisture retention- it's still somewhat marginal soil. Galliardia and achillia both do well there, but sedum not too good, even echinacea struggles there. But, I appreciate your suggestions and I will keep them in mind when choosing plants. Brandyray

• rich_dufresne
    13 years ago

From the additional info, I infer that some slow release fertilizer would also help. I'd work some in while planting, then more halfway through the season.

• wardda
    13 years ago

I garden in a very similar soil type and have found the greggii/microphylla and hybrids extremely useful. They are tough enough to survive in a bed that is far beyond the reach of the hose, which is where I grow many of mine. Why wait until fall, it is still firmly planting time especially if you can water your plants for the first month or so. Rich also gave me advice on slow release fertilizer when I originally planted the bed 4 years ago. Last year I didn't fertilize as an experiment and the plants were smaller. Another thing you might want to do which goes against the usual advice on salvias is to plant them deep. It isn't something one would want to do in heavier soil, but the method has proved useful to me for winter survival and water retention.

• Tom
    13 years ago

Plant them deep? I have always heard that you should plant these plants and others at the same level as the ground. I know Camellias need to be planted a bit above the ground. Certainly don't know about salvias, but I would imagine it would depend upon the soil, no?

• brandyray
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, wardda. Where could I find a list of these types of Salvia? The catalogs I am looking in just identify the cultivar by name rather than variety.
    Tom, that is what wardda was saying, that because my soil is so sandy if I plant them a little deeper they will be able to gather a little more moisture.
    As for fertilizing, that's probably a good idea. I have added a little compost sometimes but no regular fertilizing. I guess if I keep it away from the herbs in that bed, it will be okay.
    Thank you all for the good suggestions.

• hawkeye_wx
    13 years ago

Rich, a week ago I planted a greggii. I dug a decent size hole and filled it with about 45% pavers sand, 45% soil, 5% rich compost, and 5% turf aeration grains(like small gravel). Before the roots grow out further should I try to mix in some additional compost? I have mulch spread out on top of the soil surrounding the plant. I don't know what kind of wood it is, but it seems pretty soft.

I will be planting a cherry chief within the next week, too, as well as another pure greggii. Are there any alterations I should make to my soil/sand/compost mix?

• hawkeye_wx
    13 years ago

I would have just planted the greggii in regular soil, but I'd like to try to overwinter it in the ground(using bags of leaves as insulation). I've read good drainage is key to successful overwintering so I followed basic forum advice and added all the sand.

• hawkeye_wx
    13 years ago

One more thing...

I used the same sand/soil/compost mix for my agastache tutti frutti and agastache aurantiaca 'coronado'. If there is a change I should make please let me know.

• hawkeye_wx
    13 years ago

I found out what kind of mulch I use. It is oak, so it is definitely a hardwood.

• rich_dufresne
    13 years ago

That should be hardwood bark - no wood, which will attract termites.

• rnold5
    13 years ago

Hot sun, sandy soil - sounds like Salvia Leucantha heaven. I live in zone 7b - hardy here and in summer and fall it is stunning with the brilliant, fuzzy purple flowers. My favorite salvia.

• brandyray
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you. I did find a website that lists the different types of Salvia (Plant Delights Nursery), and it is obviously an amazingly versatile perennial. Brandyray