Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Who eats May Night Salvia?

Posted by pieheart z6nj (My Page) on
Fri, May 9, 08 at 9:17

I know that deer don't like the smelly salvias like May Night, so I bought several last year. When I went to check on the buds yesterday I noticed they had been eaten. Who can it be? I thought that the unpleasantly smelly plants were avoided by the grazers? What's odd is that the salvias were eaten but the hundreds (literally) of day lilies (wild, ditch lily type) weren't.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Who eats May Night Salvia?

I saw a cottontail eating the buds on one of my meadow sage this morning. :(

Lorna

o

I think cotton tails must really like it. In my flower bed in early spring I had a cotton tail make a nest and have 2 babies under my may night salvia plant!(tucked the plant over the nest)

o

Hmmm....Not a May Night, but I wonder if this is why my Caradonna isn't blooming. I don't have bunny problems with any other salvia. This is my first season for Caradonna.

Cameron

o

I don't know what Caradonna is, Cameron. Did you see buds on the plant? I had seen buds on my plant, that is why I knew what the rabbit was eating when I saw him on top of the plant. The plant came into bud again, and once again all of the buds were eaten. The plant is healthy and doing fine. The rabbit only ate the flower buds.

Lorna

o

Salvia nemorosa 'Caradonna'. Purple spikes. I had a few blooms. The plants look healthy, but no more bloom spikes.

Since 'May Night' is also a nemorosa, I wonder if the bunnies are eating my 'Caradonna'.

Cameron

Here is a link that might be useful: Caradonna

o

I think it is very probable that the rabbits are eating the buds on your Caradonna. The HG photo looks a lot like my newest salvia, which was labelled meadow sage. (Might not have been properly labelled.) The rabbits ate that one down to the ground! I saw the plant was trying to make a comeback, so I put a chicken wire cage around it and am hoping it can resurrect itself.

Lorna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here