Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
youreit

S. 'Purple Volcano'

youreit
16 years ago

After Googling this plant, I found out it's lyrata 'Purple Volcano', however, I found images of the same plants when searching for 'Purple Knockout'. Any known reason why the names have changed or why one plant shares 2 names?

My mom was thinking 'Knockout' might not have been very politically correct, hence the name change. Geez! LOL

Not much info on S. lyrata in general, either. Any culture advice for a northern Californian?

Brenda

Comments (3)

• Salvia_guy
    16 years ago

More than likely it might just be another marketing name.

This happened awhile back with S. guaranitica. People were buying this 'new' S. guaranitica and finding out it looked exactly like the one they already had in their garden.

S. lyrata is from the SE USA.

I have S. lyrata 'Burgundy Bliss' which looks just like photos of S. lyrata 'Purple Knockout' and 'Purple Volcano'. It seeds around for me but not too badly. It will set seed without forming flowers for me also. The flowers are pale pink or white. The beauty of this one is in the foliage.

I prefer the species with green leaves with the burgundy veins. It has sky blue flowers. This one seeds around also.
    I have heard this one refered to as 'Puple knockout' also.
    Go figure!

Good Luck!
    SG

• youreit
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, thanks, SG! You know, I was wondering why I could see seed inside, yet not a flower in sight. I've also read that the flowers appear unflowerlike, more like tiny pods, green with a tinge of red. I also read that it prefers a more moist soil, rather than dry.

I would love to have the sky blue flowering one, as well (with those beautiful leaves!). I'll keep an eye out for that one; the flowers I've seen in Google images are gorgeous.

Thanks again for your help!

Brenda

• njoynit
    16 years ago

I grow the purple volcano.Me & SIL both bought one.Hers seems to do better than mine.Hers has triped in size& blooms alot.I have one similar to it with green leaves that gets blue flowers a real pretty pale color,but only blooms in spring.the foliage stays evergreen.does well in shade as well I have some in shade bed.I always spread the seeds though.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!