Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Non-shrubby Salvia

Posted by dnr24 8a (My Page) on
Sat, May 1, 10 at 9:47

Can someone recommend the some types of blue salvia that I should seek out for a full sun centerpiece in a yard. I'd prefer something striking, but not high maintenance, and one that doesn't get too "shrubby." I plan to plant it around a birdbath and around that, plant white and lavender trailing lantana (which is bordered by monkey grass).

Ones that I've seen that I like are: S. patens and the mystic and indigo spires.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Non-shrubby Salvia

dnr:
If I were you "Mystic Spires" ,with good drainage
S farinacea many forms,S."Blue Chiquita" ,mexicana
(Fall blooming). Indigo Spres is going to be pretty
big 4'+ 18" long bloom spikes. I would not do the Monkey
(aka mondo)grass in full sun it will burn up. liriope yes
it gets the small purple flowers followed by a bluish black berry.

Art

o

Yes, it is liriope. Thanks for the tips!

o

Salvia chamaedryoides gets around 15 - 18 inches tall, has pure blue flowers and gray-green foliage foliage, and is somewhat spreading. Will that match up to your spreading lantana?

o

Very nice. I will keep that in mind. The blue was a request by my wife, but in perusing salvias, I saw san marcos festival (s. mycrophylla) and the red-violet color really struck me. It would be a nice contrast to the white and lavender of the lantana. Anyone have any experience with that?

o
Correction--San Carlos Festival

I meant to say San Carlos Festival.

o

San Carlos Festival needs shade in zone 8. I will be replacing mine being it was toasted last year.FYI-The color to me is more pink than red violet.
Art

o

San Carlos Festival can get 2-3 feet tall and wide. Can you quantify the size restriction for your proposed site?

o

The planting area is roughly 12 feet diameter (the liotrope is already established around the site). I would plant the salvia around a birdbath in the center (3 plants?), then circle the salvia with white and lavender trailing lantana that grows up to 3 feet wide. I guess, it may be a bit tight with anything that grows more than 2 feet wide.

o
RE: shade

Also, the site gets filtered sun in the morning and full sun in the afternoon.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here