Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Botrytus any help

Posted by hummersteve 6 (My Page) on
Fri, May 14, 10 at 10:59

I recieved a plant salvia greggii in which all leaves turned into crispy critters and fell off the plant. If this plant has been affected by botrytus fungus is it a gonner or is there any hope for it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Botrytus any help

Hummersteve:
The only problem I have had w/S.greggii was downy Mildew that was years ago it does defoliate and kills the plant. Botrytus can be remedied by Daconil.Which is rated for vegetables.That is the safest way I know to deal with it.
Art

o

• Posted by dicot Los Angeles (My Page) on
    Sat, May 15, 10 at 15:30

First step is to make sure you've identified the pathogen correctly. Is there the tell-tale grey mold present? For most rot I'd re-pot it in sterile soil mix, cut the greggii back to the stump, then douse the whole thing with 3% peroxide. Then if it resprouts, make absolutely sure not to splash soil onto the new greggii leaves while watering, as you try and disrupt the infection cycle.

o

dicot

No I have not for sure ID anything . But the seller suggested that was the culprit as that is what they have had happen to this plant greggii pink preference. All the leaves turned to crispy critters and fell off the plant and there have been no signs of life but I will try your suggestion. It looks dead so nothing to lose.

o

I find that blackleg (Pythium) can do in Salvias, especially cuttings

Here is a link that might be useful: Pythium Root Rot on Ornamentals

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here