Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
s_p8987

Thirsty S. 'black and blue'

s_p8987
15 years ago

Hello,

I just bought a 1 gal 'black and blue' and I repotted it to a 2-3 gal container, not sure which. It's sitting in mostly shade in Austin, Tx right now (highs are getting up to 98-99) but it keeps wilting. Is this salvia a particularly thirsty one? When I give it water, it perks back up but I was surprised at how much water it's needed because I thought this plant was suitable for xeriscaping.

any advice would be great!

Comments (5)

• wardda
    15 years ago

Black & Blue has never done well for me in what passes for xeric conditions here. I would expect that once your plant has established its root system it will do much better. Pretty much all plants require water then they are first planted. Once summer temperatures regularly hit the 90s around here I have to water most of my pots on a nearly daily basis. Heck, it is something to do and keeps me out of trouble - mostly. On the up side, guaranticas do grow OK in pots - big pots. While most of the types I grow are in the ground, I usually reserve the newest one for a pot so I can bring it in over the winter and propagate it.

• dicot
    15 years ago

Here in So. Cal., I have to grow them in bright shade (as opposed to deep shade) and water them as much or more than any other plant in my drought-resistant garden. Deep mulch helps.

• hybridsage
    15 years ago

I am in Austin too. I have grown S. Black and Blue successfully here - not in xeric contitions. Raised
    bed in deep clay soil work in some sandy loam to keep the clay draining. Morning sun for 3-4 hours mulched
    with fur needles(From christmas Trees)it also needed
    a good watering once a week. In containers you will
    need to water twice a day w/temps hitting near the
    century mark. In ground it can spread 2 feet a year once established.
    I have a friend who grows theirs with Daylily's they
    dig the tubers out so it does not go everywhere.

• youreit
    15 years ago

I had one in a 5-gal. pot (approx. size) for a couple years, and once I put it in the ground (last year), the leaves, and the overall plant, more than doubled in size (this year)....and I only have to water it deeply once a week now (as opposed to at least once a day in hot weather when potted).

I would only keep it potted for a year, maximum, if you want it to look its best. :)

Brenda

• CA Kate z9
    15 years ago

I agree that they do best in afternoon shade, especially if you live in a sun-intensive area. And, yes, they need a regular amount of water, but especially if they are in a pot. I have both in the ground and in the pot and the former gets watered once a week and the potted one every day!

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County