Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovefornature

Need Lots of Info for Salvia in Zone 5B

lovefornature
15 years ago

Hi everyone,

I am in Zone 5B IL.

I am really into Hummingbirds and gained some interest in Salvia plants recently.

I went to Lowe's and found something called Salvia Spendens (they are red). Stupid question: but do Salvia Spendens attract hummingbirds?? All it states on the card is Upright Annual/Spike-like flowers, fragrant foilage when crushed.

I went to a my closest garden center (more reputable) and picked up the very last Lady in Red that they had and also grabbed two Nymph Coral Salvia's. I know these will work well for hummers.

Also in this garden center (placed in another area), I seen some other Salvia's but they were only marked "Salvia Dark Burgandy" or "Salvia Light Red" etc. Would these work for attracting Hummingbirds?

I also would like to know if there are any other well known Salvia's around this area that could possibly be purchased at Upper Scale Garden Centers)? Some purpulish would be nice.

I do not know, but are there any Salvia's that are perennial in my area?

Tons of questions, I know, I am sorry, trying to learn what I can here since it seems not too many people grow Salvia in my area.......they are absolutely beautiful and I want hummingbirds to enjoy them.

Any other info you can think of would be appreciated.

Thanks and sorry so long :)

Comments (9)

• wardda
    15 years ago

If you want hummingbirds don't go for the dwarf spendens offer at every garden center because they are poor attractors. The coccineas Lady in Red and Coral Nymph are both excellent hummingbird plants. You are about a full zone too cold for most of the New World hummingbird salvias. Salvia greggii White might be hardy for you if your soil is well drained, especially in winter. I'm wondering if greggii Wild Thing might work in your climate and perhaps the hybrid Raspberry Delight. Both are very sturdy perennials in my zone 6B/7A garden. You might consider doing some mail ordering - Plant Delights Nursery, High Country Gardens, and A World of Salvias come to mind. You might also want to join the Studio 54 hummingbird forum. There are quite a few members who live in your zone.

• rich_dufresne
    15 years ago

Try the Eurasian alpine, mountain, and steppe sages. There are a lot of these, like the nemerosas, pratensis, sclarea, miltiorrhiza, nubicola, and Salvia glabrescens 'Momobana' and 'Shi Ho'. The last two can be found at Asiatica.

Here is a link that might be useful: Asiatica Nursery

• lorna-organic
    15 years ago

Hummingbirds love Agastache. The flower spikes are long lived. I'm in Zone 6, central New Mexico. My Agastache plants die back in winter but come back each year.

Lorna

• lovefornature
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lorna:

OMG, I love the Agastache. I looked it up on the web and there are several varities. Which one do you use?

I especially liked the Ava (which states it is a late season bloomer) and Acapulco Salmon & Pink

• rich_dufresne
    15 years ago

The Agastache hybrids based on A. rupestris should be USDA Zone 5 hardy. Back in the early 80's, I tested them in some gardens in Amherst, MA. Besides the species, there is Firebird, the cross with coccinea.

I might also try the A. aurantiaca hybrids like Apricot Sunrise (again with A. coccinea).

A. barberi (A. pallida v. pallida) and its hybrids might also work. Its hybrids include `Pink Lemonade' and `Tutti Frutti', both with A. mexicana, which is tender.

The cross A. mexicana x coccinea is `Pink Panther'. I am not sure about its hardiness, but it should be around zone 6, at least.

A lot of the new ones from Colorado, which is also zone 5, should do well.

• lorna-organic
    15 years ago

Hello! I have two types of Agastache. One is Ava's Hybrid Hummingbird Mint. I lost track of the other plant tag--don't remember the name of the plant. The flowers on both plants look similar, but the foliage and plant size are slightly different.

I have a Red Rocks salvia near the Agastaches. It is a low growing, woody type of salvia which flowers throughout much of the growing season. The hummers will visit the plant. Although it is not their favorite, probably because it is a low grower.

Lorna

• wardda
    15 years ago

The hybrid Desert Sunrise (x rupestris) is proving pretty hardy. Agastache cana might work well, it is rock solid here and fairly east from seed. Apricot Sprite also is quite hardy in zone 7. Winter survival is always a problem for me to some degree. The ones that die seem to be those that revive and try to grow during warm periods in winter. That at least is what happened to a row of Desert Sunrise cuttings that were planted last July. It was the ones that seemed dead all winter that returned.

• hummersteve
    15 years ago

Ditto on those dwarf red splendens that usually just marked red salvia. They dont do anything to attract hummers and they die rather quickly. I bought them one year as early plant I thought , but wont do it again as far as hummers go.

• lovefornature
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So many wonderful ideas here!!! I appreciate everyones help so much.

Hummersteve: I know you are in Zone 5, what works for you?

Thanks again :)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County