Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My New Salvias Are Sad. Droopy. Yellow. Sad.

Posted by colorgarden 8a, Texas (My Page) on
Fri, May 9, 14 at 15:34

I planted 2 6" pot marcus salvias, 1 8" pot caradonna, and 1 8" blue revolution in part sun (4.5 hours).

The plants are in a raised bed. The original soil was heavy clay, but was mixed half and half with compost 2 years ago. This year I added a mix of topsoil and compost (composted manure and mushroom compost).

I have only ever grown autumn sage before, so I don't know why these guys are unhappy.

Thinking it was too rich/too moist soil, I dug up all but the blue revolution, and mixed the soil with 40% coarse sand and re-planted

Thinking it was too dry, I watered more. 1 Marcus perked up, the other is still splayed but the tips are starting to point back towards the sky. The Caradonna is still in the same splayed but tips pointing up type situation. The blue revolution is looking slightly unhealthy with
some yellowy leaves at the bottom.

I've had these plants for about 3 weeks.

How can I get these guys awesome looking?

Thanks!
CG

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My New Salvias Are Sad. Droopy. Yellow. Sad.

These European Salvias thrive in poor soil, and are pretty well drought-resistant. They enjoy full sun, but feeding them is not really recommended. Wishing you success!

o
RE: My New Salvias Are Sad. Droopy. Yellow. Sad.

Also, they do much better in the colder northern states. Some of this may be due to hot, humid nights. They are steppe and alpine plants from Europe.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here