Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robinmi_gw

Salvia squalens

robinmi_gw
18 years ago

Has anyone grown this interesting Salvia from Peru and Ecuador? This is extremely rare in the UK. It is a strange Salvia, seems to want to flower all year round, and will not tolerate any frost. The large ovate leaves are very attractive.

The flowers are a lovely orange colour, and it does set viable seed, though in small quantities.

It is a seriously attractive species, and quite aromatic. The main problem with this Salvia is the extreme stickiness of the foliage...if you thought that S. darcyi was sticky...try this one! Just don't grow it where it can come into contact with other plants...it will rip them apart!

I have grown it as a specimen in a container, and it thrived all last summer, and flowered all winter in the greenhouse.

I am told that this a very variable Salvia with several forms...differing leaf size, and colour variation on the flowers.

The name 'squalens' means 'dirty', but it is not a dirty plant. I think that this refers to the dreadful stickiness of the foliage. Any poor insect, or debris, that alights on the leaves will be there forever.

If anyone is interested , I will be happy to try to attach a photo of my plant.

Best regards,

Robin in the UK...where it is still cold and windy!

Comments (10)

• helena_z8_ms
    18 years ago

It seems that some of the salvias you grow in the UK have not been available here in the US and are harder to come by . I have seem the picture of s. squalens and it is gorgeous. I'm growing s. oppositiflora now and it has been blooming, just waiting to see if it sets seeds.
    Helena from the muggy south.

• helena_z8_ms
    18 years ago

Robin, We would love to see pictures of your salvia squalens. Love to hear about other salvias you are growing.
    Helena

• robinmi_gw
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Helena,

Thanks for your interest. Having only just joined this forum I did not realise that I cannot attach an image to a message. However I hope to have a small website up and running in a few weeks, when I can then post a link.

Robin.

• helena_z8_ms
    18 years ago

Robin, That will be nice, looking forward to it. It's so easy to fall in love with a salvia plant after seen a picture of it. There's quite a few of them that I'd like to learn more about their history.
    Helena

• rich_dufresne
    18 years ago

There is a way to attach images. Actually, one uses HTML code to indicate the source of the image. Your text link does not appear, and the image, found on another web server, is pasted in.

The instructions can be found on the FAQ page for the Butterfly group

Here is a link that might be useful: GardenWeb image FAQ

• sarahbn
    18 years ago

Helena that has to be one of my favorite salvias oppositiflora here's a picture from last september. Sarah

• helena_z8_ms
    18 years ago

Nice picture Sarah, I like the feel of the leaves. My hummers like it too. Another salvia Pulchera and microphylla 'hot lips' I'm growing is their favorite too but then they go to quite a few of them. Helena

• sarahbn
    18 years ago

I don't know salvia pulchera, but microphylla and hotlips I know and the hummers love it! Sarah

• Gerris2 (Joseph Delaware Zone 7a)
    18 years ago

Hi Robin,

Welcome to GardenWeb! I can help you with the html codes if you want to directly post a picture in the message. Let me know, ok?

Joseph

• robinmi_gw
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you, Joseph,

I hope to have my own website up and running in a few weeks, and there will be links to a lot of my Salvia pictures, many unusual species. A colleague of mine who is a computer nut has created the site for me, I am still learning.

Robin.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists