Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
battygardnr

Is there a faq somewhere?

battygardnr
15 years ago

I have recently become addicted to salvias. I bought a few last year and they all died. I bought them right before our crazy Noah's ark time and I don't think they liked it in my clay soil. This year I set up better beds. I got a 6 pack of one labeled hummingbird forest fire (I think) and they did well so I got one with lavender leaves and darker lavender flowers and it did well so I grabbed a black and blue (I know this one is guaranitica). I need to take some pics and write down the names from the tags before I lose them. I thought to myself I was done since that bed is almost full but I'm now thinking I need one more tall one in the back... And another bed prepared for the fall.

So I'm cruising this board and finding more I want but I also have many questions. I'll keep looking but I was wondering if there was a faq somewhere here or elsewhere and if not could someone make one?

Comments (7)

• dicot
    15 years ago

Many sages, especially the drought tolerant one, love clay soil but hate to have poor drainage. The solution typically for these types isn't nitrogen-rich potting soil (although some is no problem), but raised or sloping beds with good drainage and the clay mixed with fully-composted organic matter.

some links:

http://www.californiagardens.com/Lists/salvia_list.htm

http://waynesword.palomar.edu/ecoph38.htm

http://www.plantanswers.com/12_mos_xeriscape_/oct.htm

http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC1153.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: drought tolerant sages

• hummersteve
    15 years ago

To get to FAQ click on ask the experts on this page and it will bring all the catagories , click on any of those and you will get FAQ For those.

• battygardnr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think the clay plus way way too much water (my whole yard was a puddle for weeks) did them in last year. I lost most of the drought tolerant plants I had bought. This year I added a couple bags of compost to the broken down mulch from last year in a partially raised bed and they seem to be thriving. I checked my tags and the one I couldn't remember was vista lavender. It hasn't stopped blooming since I got it!

I'll go check those links out now! Thanks!

I couldn't find the ask the experts but I'll keep looking! Thank you!

• hybridsage
    15 years ago

Dicot is right on. I have the same clay soil you do.Put some play sand or granite sand mix it with the clay. Raised beds are a must too
    S. coccinea "Forest Fire" and S. Guarnitica Black & Blue
    are great plants for Central Texas. Give Black and Blue
    plenty of space it has underground tubers which go every-
    where morning sun seems to be it preference even in Houston. Forest Fire you will need to let it seed out as
    it is not a reliable perennial in zone 8(Sun or shade)very easy.
    Which part of Texas are you located? There are other salvias
    you can grow depending on what region you are located.

• battygardnr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm a little north of Austin. I haven't tried sand at all, I wasn't sure how to incorporate it. I'm adding a lot of organic matter but I have pretty much been letting it sit on top and get worked in on its own.

I put the black and blue by the fence. Will it go under? I don't mind sharing it with the neighbor but I don't want it hurt if they mow it or weedwhack it.

At least the forest fire will be inexpensive to replace if the seed doesn't take. But if it doesn't I would probably replace it with something that is perennial here. I'm not sure how the colors will look when the bed is more grown. I have the vista lavender in front because it's a shorty then the forest fire behind it and the black and blue behind that so pinkish lavender, red, and dark blue.

They are on the southside of a north fence. I assumed it would be full sun but looking out now (9:45 am) it's shaded and it's shaded in the evening when I water. They seem ok so far at least. I know there is a lot of sun the rest of the day.

• hybridsage
    15 years ago

Your Black and Blue will go under the fence if you want
    to contol it put some medal,concrete or rock edging in
    the area you want it. The vista series of salvia is a
    annual (temporary).If you want something more perennial
    and not running let me know I'll give you some other options.

• hummersteve
    15 years ago

Go back to your original post at the top of this page and just above that in the green you will see ask the experts, click on it.

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts